Author Topic: Feta in oil question.  (Read 1379 times)

smcaro@gmail.com

Feta in oil question.
« on: May 21, 2017, 01:23:59 AM »
Hi guys,

I made a 9 liter batch of feta, which hung from the sink tap for 9 hours, then was cut into big slices and dry salted until the total time was 30 hours at room temperature. During the salting I rubbed them and turned them about 5 times in the 20 hours.

This morning I have cut them into inch cubes, and was planning to sprinkle some more salt, to take into account the new surface of the cubes. But a quick taste told me the salt level seems to be OK, so I put the cubes in a plastic container and into the fridge.

The plan is to wait for a couple of days and then cover in olive oil. EVOO. Now, comes the question: I have a jar of homemade Spanish style chorizo, preserved in EVOO. Once dried, the chorizo was very briefly fried in ultra hot EVOO for a few seconds, placed in the jar and then covered with the same oil used for the initial frying. It is delicious! The oil has, of course, taken a red colour due to the paprika and fat in the chorizo.

Can I use this oil to marinate some of my feta??? It is oil briefly used for cooking. Unless it is not indicated to use oil that has been heated, I really would like to experiment with a few cubes and see what gives.

Thanks for any input guys and  a nice weekend from Hong Kong.

5ittingduck

Re: Feta in oil question.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 10:54:05 AM »
First, I'll warn you I'm slightly mad and an unreliable source ;)
Then I'll say, what a great idea! There is one problem I forsee, and that is setting temperature.
EVOO will crystalize at fridge temperature, and meat fat will set hard.
A common solution to this is to add another vegetable oil like canola, but i'm not sure how well that will work with meat fats. You might have to experiment with various ratios to get a viable result.
I have added garlic and basil successfully, and have used long storage times, which I can recommend. I have oiled fetta in the fridge nearly a year old, it will be very fine ;).