Author Topic: Failed Mozzarella using culture .. Help!  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Failed Mozzarella using culture .. Help!
« on: May 23, 2017, 01:54:36 PM »
I have tried without success to make Mozzarella using kefir to culture the cheese and drop the pH to about 5.2 but I have not had any success with this. How critical is the temperature at which I add the kefir (should it be about 50F)? I have added citric acid in tandem with the kefir but what seems to happen is that the milk curdles and the curds don't set - they tend to break up however gently I stir them.  Making Mozzarella using only citric acid works fine.. but what is the cause of the incredibly fragile curds? Thanks

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Failed Mozzarella using culture .. Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:19:11 PM »
50F??? Most cultures are not active at temps that low. You need to re-examine your recipe. Use active yogurt instead of Kefir. Do NOT mix techniques with culture & citric acid.

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »
When I add the culture it is at 90 F but I see all the recipes for adding citric acid suggest that the CA be added at 50F so I was wondering if the higher temperature was causing the problem. But what is the cause of the poorly coagulated curds? Is it because I added the CA with the kefir?   

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 09:34:49 PM »
Making Mozzarella using only citric acid works fine...
I've made a lot of Ricotta with CA only but not Mozz :o.   Can you link or describe the recipe in a bit more detail to help us figure this out? 

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 01:45:15 PM »
When I add the culture it is at 90 F but I see all the recipes for adding citric acid suggest that the CA be added at 50F so I was wondering if the higher temperature was causing the problem. But what is the cause of the poorly coagulated curds? Is it because I added the CA with the kefir?

WHY are you adding Kefir and Citric Acid???

AnnDee

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 01:54:34 AM »
50F??? Most cultures are not active at temps that low. You need to re-examine your recipe. Use active yogurt instead of Kefir. Do NOT mix techniques with culture & citric acid.

Exactly what I had in mind. I warm my milk to 90F when using kefir or meso, 95 when using thermo.