Author Topic: different tries same problem.. Cheese Curds help!  (Read 2047 times)

styxer08

different tries same problem.. Cheese Curds help!
« on: May 23, 2017, 03:57:19 PM »
I have been trying to make cheese curds to make Poutine. the problem is every time I make it. it becomes almost Feta like. I used a round pot. the stovetop or griddle. I have used thermoter and a PID like unit. also have tried thermo and Meso cultures. veggy and animal rennet. with and without calcium chloride. same results. every time I end up with a non-melting cheese. easy to coat and deep fry but not what I am trying to make. I use whole milk at the store not ultra pasturized. what part am I going wrong, or look for errors. because I haven't made it correctly I have been only attempting to make cheese curds at one gallon batches.
ANY help thanks!

Jim

SOSEATTLE

Re: different tries same problem.. Cheese Curds help!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 01:12:09 AM »
Are you using homogenized milk? That may have something to do with having issues. Also, what is your recipe? Here is one online. Is it similar to this one?  http://www.cheesemaking.com/Recipe_CheeseCurds.html

Susan

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 03:32:30 AM »
Sounds like your curd is getting too low in ph . With out a meter ,it is harder to get it right , but I think they squeak when they are the right ph . You can test by rubbing a few together in your hand

Som some correct me if I am wrong

dickdeuel

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »
Take a look at the cheese curd recipe on this web page.  This is the one I have had the best luck with.
https://gianacliscaldwell.com/tag/cheesemaking-2/

AnnDee

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 04:10:59 AM »
It might be your milk, try using a non homogenised milk.
I usually take out some of my curds from my cheddar or Lancashire make to use as Poutine curd. I prefer Lancashire curds, it taste good with a good squeak.

Kern

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 11:41:47 PM »
I think that the pH is likely getting too low.  Cheese starts to get crumbly as the pH drops down into the low 5's and lower.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 04:32:04 AM »
i just read through SoSeattle's link and yes the test for when they are ready is using your teeth to test for squeak.

This should be about 5.2 to 5.4 as I do not know which one for sure ,  but  it is well with in the range of melting .
Cows milk below 4.9 or maybe a little lower will not melt well when heated
And for sure you are ending up below this .

My guess is start checking  2 to 3 hrs sooner than your current recipe.