Author Topic: Milk Wars - A win for a small local dairy  (Read 2275 times)

Duntov

Milk Wars - A win for a small local dairy
« on: May 25, 2017, 02:00:14 PM »
This dairy is one of two where I can get raw milk but they also produce other types of milk.  I am posting this video link just to show how crazy the government regulations can get and their insane logic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRouK_vUc9k&app=desktop

AeonSam

Re: Milk Wars - A win for a small local dairy
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 06:12:12 PM »
Bureaucrats......sigh.

The penalty in Ohio for selling raw milk or raw milk products is worse than if you're caught trafficking large volumes of heroine.

Kern

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 11:33:06 PM »
If you look hard enough you will usually find some big company behind all the little rules.  Take raw milk, for example.  Bad raw milk back in the 1930's killed a number of people.  This was likely contaminated with listeria.  Thus raw milk sales must be prohibited, a solution favored by the big milk cooperatives for the simple reason that large capacity pasteurizers cost lots of money, which little milk producers can't afford to buy.  Thus, the milk business in most places is controlled by big coops.  Dairy hygiene has advanced considerably and extensive testing shows that raw milk from healthy cows is as safe as pasteurized milk from the same cows so long as it is cooled immediately, which all dairymen do anyway since it is required even for milk that will be pasteurized.  Still, most states don't allow the sale of raw milk for the simple reason that the big milk coops lobby against it because they don't want the competition that would come if small milk producers could sell raw milk.  Of course, you'll never hear the coops tell you this.  Oh no, they back the hearse up to the door and let the risk adverse regulators smell the roses.   >:(

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 04:51:58 AM »
And if you look even deeper into why those cows were making bad milk in the past , you find that they were keeping them in small pens right near the distilleries and feeding them left over mash. They got so sick their teeth all fell out , but hey at least the freed was cheap . And then they fed the milk to children .

I don't think any of it was on purpose it was just in the name of making more profit ..... move the distilleries near the city and the cows right next door and every one makes more money , who cares if it kills cows and makes people sick .

Nothing has changed just look look at flints water issues ....... MONEY is at the bottom of why it happened

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:41:54 PM »
Great video Duntov.   Sadness, humor, aggravation and redemption all rolled into one  4 min. segment.   Love the irony of the gov. bureaucrat using "reducing regulations" in his campaign speech.  Thanks for sharing.

Kern

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 04:11:05 AM »
Good golly, miss Molly.  John is that really you?  Glad to see you back!  Plan to stay awhile?   ;D

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 08:58:39 PM »
Hi Kern (and I"m a fan of 'Little Richard as well ;)).  It has been a pretty long stint away from the forum but glad to be back.  I don't want to take up space on Duntov's thread to explain so will do that next time I post a "cheese make".   Thanks for the nice comment though!

Frodage4

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 09:00:46 PM »
Bureaucrats......sigh.

The penalty in Ohio for selling raw milk or raw milk products is worse than if you're caught trafficking large volumes of heroine.

This issue reminds me that in Canada you can brew a dark beer, but if it's less than 4% alcohol, you have to call it light beer. Light beer that is dark in color. Ha!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 05:04:46 PM »
Try making artisanal cheese to sell at Farmer's Markets in Washington state. LOL
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

garbetsp

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 09:32:40 PM »
Wow, crazy video. My first cheese was made from their milk.