Author Topic: Raspberry, Wine soaked, hot water washed curd cheese  (Read 881 times)

DoctorCheese

Raspberry, Wine soaked, hot water washed curd cheese
« on: May 27, 2017, 05:30:24 AM »
I am pretty happy with how this cheese make went. For the most part, I followed the hot water washed curd recipe in the Caldwell book. With the addition, of course, of the raspberries and wine. It was late when I needed to put the cheese in its salt brine and I did not have very much bottled water (my tap is basically chlorine with water added to it) so I actually just used the wine plus the rest of a bottle of water as the solution for my brine. It was probably about an 18% salt solution that I brined the cheese in for 13 hours. I will wax this cheese after a few days in the fridge, then taste it after 1 month at which point I will most likely quarter it in to vacuum sealed bags.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Raspberry, Wine soaked, hot water washed curd cheese
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 08:15:24 PM »
Looking forward to the taste test!
-- Andy

5ittingduck

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 05:24:41 AM »
Good show!
Nice to see Australian Merlot getting a go there, we drink it by the bucket here ;)
How do you recon the raspberries will go when they get the sugars metabolized out of them?  Maybe a bit tart?
Maybe I should try that blueberry one I had planned......
You are in rented accommodation there I presume?  Any way to rig rainwater collection or is the urban environment a bit smutty for that? (As an aussie with about 70,000 litres of rain in his tanks at the moment, I'm feeling a little embarrassed).
Have a cheese!

DoctorCheese

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 06:25:34 AM »
How do you recon the raspberries will go when they get the sugars metabolized out of them?  Maybe a bit tart?
They were not too tart to begin with, but they had lots of flavor. Hopefully, even with the sugar converted to acid, they have a nice berry flavor to contribute.

You are in rented accommodation there I presume?  Any way to rig rainwater collection or is the urban environment a bit smutty for that? (As an aussie with about 70,000 litres of rain in his tanks at the moment, I'm feeling a little embarrassed).
I am renting and I live in a big city, so if I collect the water I would likely end up with some pretty gnarly stuff! Whenever I need some water for cheese making I just buy it for $1.20 at a grocery store.