Author Topic: Gouda mould  (Read 3137 times)

bgreen

Gouda mould
« on: June 18, 2017, 03:48:13 AM »
Hi i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction please.  I am looking for a good quality mould for Gouda to accommodate around 16 plus liters of milk at a time.  I am in New Zealand and having difficulty sourcing.  I don't mind importing.

Thanks for your help

5ittingduck

Re: Gouda mould
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 10:59:28 AM »
These are the Rolls Royce of gouda moulds from what i have been told.
http://www.kadovacheesemouldshop.com/index.php?item=kadova_---gouda&action=page&group_id=11&lang=EN
I use recycled 3 kilo plastic honey buckets with holes drilled in them :b
My cheeses taste good but look a bit tatty.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »
If your new to cheese making I would suggest going as cheap as possible on your first few molds , that is until you know exactly what kinds of cheese you gravitate towards , then when you find your self making a style or family of cheese all the time then  decide the value of invest in high end molds.

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 11:51:32 PM »
I agree with Gregore for the short term but having used (and sold) Kadova moulds they are like Sittingduck says the Rolls Royce of gouda moulds (or whatever the Dutch equivalent of a Rolls Royce is :)).  In fact I worked for over 40 yrs. for the company that now owns the Kadova brand. You would think that would provide me with a discount but sadly it didn't  :(.  While the mesh netting on the Kadova's is great the design of the mould provides for a smaller range of curd filling than does a cylindrical mould.  This isn't a problem with commercial establishments as they have standardized their makes but it can be a headache for us home and hobby makers.   That said it is a great mould for any really serious Gouda cheese-maker!

Savu

bgreen

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 10:12:52 AM »
Thanks everyone for your help and pointing me in the right direction.  I will go for the kadova Gouda 1.5 - 2kg mould.  Just wondering in utilizing these moulds as you don't use cheese cloth when a recipe mentions to turn and redress the cheese while pressing do you just ignore that and keep the cheese pressing without flipping.

Thanks again.. Bruce

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 02:32:05 PM »
Just wondering in utilizing these moulds as you don't use cheese cloth when a recipe mentions to turn and redress the cheese while pressing do you just ignore that and keep the cheese pressing without flipping.
Here's some guidance from linuxboy (an early forum cheese guru) about flipping.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Duntov

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 03:44:01 PM »
I use this mold constantly for my Goudas, Butterkase, Cheddars and others.  Any compromise in shape is more than made up with the convenience of having a lined mold and a super smooth and well shaped cheese.  You don't really need to flip the cheese in the mold, but flip the entire mold during the pressing process.  I flip in the mold at the end with very little pressure just to get rid of a slight ridge cause by the follower.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 04:36:48 AM »
You don't really need to flip the cheese in the mold, but flip the entire mold during the pressing process.
Agreed, that's what I do. It works well.

do you just ignore that and keep the cheese pressing without flipping.
It is important to flip the cheese to properly drain the whey.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

bgreen

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 08:07:03 AM »
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments... just wondering though when you say flip the whole mould during the pressing process... do you mean just invert the whole mould for a few seconds then turn it up the same way and continue pressing?  Cheers... promise that's the last question!

You don't really need to flip the cheese in the mold, but flip the entire mold during the pressing process.
Agreed, that's what I do. It works well.

do you just ignore that and keep the cheese pressing without flipping.
It is important to flip the cheese to properly drain the whey.

-Boofer-

Duntov

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 01:21:05 PM »
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments... just wondering though when you say flip the whole mould during the pressing process... do you mean just invert the whole mould for a few seconds then turn it up the same way and continue pressing?

It means invert the whole mould and press again.  Let's say your recipe calls for pressing at 10 lbs. for one hour then flip and redress the cheese and press for another hour at 10 lbs.  First photo is of the first pressing.  Second photo is of the second pressing.

The Kadova molds have drain holes in the follower so it can be used up-side-down.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 01:26:50 PM by Duntov »

bgreen

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 10:35:33 PM »
Thanks Duntov  Did not realise they had drain holes in the follower... clear thanks for the photos.... very helpful