Author Topic: emmenthaler rind question  (Read 1417 times)

john H

emmenthaler rind question
« on: June 19, 2017, 01:14:34 AM »
Hi I made a 9LB emmenthaler  and used The cheese makers manual recipe. My question is about rind development, it says to wash the rind with a 3% brine every 2 days for 10 days. My question is am I trying to get a good smear going on to keep the gas in or is it just to prevent un wanted mold.

Thanks
John

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: emmenthaler rind question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 11:32:43 AM »
John, it sounds like you are looking for some b. Linens development. With a high moisture cheese like a tallegio, this would result in a "stinky cheese" with a softened paste. With a hard/low moisture cheese like an emmental, the b. Linens will contribute some flavor note (and color) and a bit of smell, but it will not soften; however, it will help to prevent mold (because the b. Linens will out-compete it). The b. Linens will not do anything to help keep the gas in per se, but to the extent that the regimen helps to develop a proper rind, smooth and yet with some elasticity, that is a key for holding in the gas.
-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »
It keeps the mold off of the cheese John.  Once the rind develops the 80° phase will blow it up like a balloon. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

john H

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 08:10:29 PM »
Thanks Al. I am really looking forward to this one.

John

DoctorCheese

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 06:03:51 AM »
My "butternut" P shermani cheese got infected by b linens and it actually sort of messed up the flavor of my cheese. I would recommend keeping the rind of your cheese acidic if you can unless you are alright with having your final product taste funky.

john H

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 02:19:56 AM »
My "butternut" P shermani cheese got infected by b linens and it actually sort of messed up the flavor of my cheese. I would recommend keeping the rind of your cheese acidic if you can unless you are alright with having your final product taste funky.

Hi Doc. I plan on washing the cheese with 3% brine to prevent any mold from starting.