Author Topic: Ricotta Cheese Making Recipe Using Cream  (Read 2239 times)

mike_i

Ricotta Cheese Making Recipe Using Cream
« on: June 28, 2009, 05:37:57 PM »
I thought I saw a whole milk ricotta recipe using heavy whip cream but I can't find it. Does anybody have such a recipe or can point me to it?
Thanks, Mike

Tea

Re: Ricotta Cheese Making Recipe Using Cream
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 02:48:02 PM »
Hi Mike, did you find the recipe that you were looking for?  If not then experiement yourself with making some.  Substitute about 10% of the milk for the whip cream, and see what you get.  You can go up or down from there % wise if you want a creamier result.
Would love to know what you think of the final result.

mike_i

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 05:31:53 PM »
I haven't been able to find a recipe yet. I guess I could just give it a try like you said. I was also tempted to add some cream to mozzarella too. My main concern was if adding cream affects the amount of rennet or acid I would need to add. The cream is ultra pasterized.

Tea

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 10:36:47 PM »
Well I have to admit that I have never used the ultra pasturised cream, I have only used fresh cream.  I would think that cream in mozz would also play with the pH, and the correct pH is essential in getting the curd to stretch.
Anyway let us know what you find either way.

mike_i

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 05:15:20 AM »
I tried it and it didn't work. I used 1 gallon regular milk and 1 pint ultra pasteurized cream. It did form curd but it was like very small cottage cheese curd. After straining it turned out to be nothing but mush. It went down the drain.

Mike