Author Topic: Butter Nut: Custom recipe  (Read 2669 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Butter Nut: Custom recipe
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »
Excellent results, and AC4U!

My understanding is that it is hard to get large holes in a small (under 100 lb.) make - I think I've read that here on the forum, so of course it must be true. :)

I don't recall, and now that I'm posting I can't see the pictures - did you use whole milk? I find that I like my swiss style much better with a little lower fat - I now aim for around 2.5% fat. My results have come out drier (sometimes probably too dry - still working on that), but much better, more complex flavor. Also, are you adding any Helveticus (e.g., LH100) or cultures that contain it? To me this is really needed to get the nuttiness that I like in a swiss style.
-- Andy

DoctorCheese

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 08:31:54 PM »
did you use whole milk? Also, are you adding any Helveticus (e.g., LH100) or cultures that contain it? To me this is really needed to get the nuttiness that I like in a swiss style.
Yes I used whole milk. No I did not use Helvetecus. I actually used three different culture mixtures in addition to the shermanii. There is plenty of flavor in this cheese and I would almost say there could be too much nuttiness, so I am happy with the way I did it. It should be noted that I used double the shermanii than was required by the recipe.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 01:54:01 PM »
If you're getting nuttiness, I would suspect there might be some Helveticus in the thermophilic pack that you show in your notes. (None in Flora Danica or MA4000, but entirely possible depending on what the thermo blend was.) In any case, again, well done!
-- Andy

John@PC

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 11:15:45 PM »
Whey to go Jobe and another cheese for you.  I don't blame you for making that picture your avatar; it is beautiful :)

DoctorCheese

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 05:54:59 AM »
Whey to go Jobe and another cheese for you.  I don't blame you for making that picture your avatar; it is beautiful :).
Thank you. I figured it was about time my avatar was something more cheesy.