Author Topic: Where to buy cultures post Artisan Geek  (Read 2824 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Where to buy cultures post Artisan Geek
« on: June 21, 2017, 11:00:25 PM »
I am pretty sad that Yoav had to shut down Artisan Geek. Soon I will be running low on supplies and will need to order more rennet and starters.
What company are you in cheeseforum world happiest with?
Susan

SOSEATTLE

Re: Where to buy cultures post Artisan Geek
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 01:12:48 AM »
I have used cheesemaking.com and thecheesemaker.com most commonly. Thecheesemaker was very helpful when I was looking for information about a product one time.

Susan

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 05:08:39 AM »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
Dairy Connection

DoctorCheese

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 03:02:15 PM »
TheCheeseMaker.com is a wonderful site to use because there is free shipping. Even more important, the owner, Steve, is very hands on and supportive of his customers. He lets me text or call him with questions whenever I want and he is very knowledgeable. You will find the prices are in some cases a little higher when you directly compare an item, but that is because of the free shipping.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »
I recently restocked, the first time doing so post-Artisan Geek, which had been my go-to supplier. After much comparison of prices, including shipping, I wound up buying several things from www.getculture.com (DairyConnection's retail outlet). Later I realized I needed something else, and bought it from thecheesemaker.com - both were good experiences, and I would not hesitate to order from either again.
-- Andy

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 10:37:55 PM »
I'll ditto Sailor and Andy recommending dairyconnection.com if you can qualify for a business account.  If not you will pay a bit more through GetCulture.com but you will still have access to a nice selection of starters and other products. 

artmustel

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 11:36:09 PM »
I tried to purchase a 10 grams thermophile culture envelope from Glengarry ($7.45)... however checkout tells me that shipping would be $15.00 extra to Nebraska USA. Where is this company located?

Duntov

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 03:44:10 AM »
I tried to purchase a 10 grams thermophile culture envelope from Glengarry ($7.45)... however checkout tells me that shipping would be $15.00 extra to Nebraska USA. Where is this company located?

They are in Canada.  Keep in mind also that you don't want to have cultures sent to you using 'snail mail' as they could suffer from over exposure to heat.  I always order when I have many things needed to restock.  The cost of shipping for many items is about the same as one item.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 03:47:11 AM »
I thought they had a USA phone number for customers south of the boarder???

artmustel

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
Oh, ok I understand it if they are located in Canada. Thank you.

Duntov

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »
I thought they had a USA phone number for customers south of the boarder???

All their phone numbers are for Ontario, Canada including the 613 area code.  Their shop is in Canada but they do also have a c/o mailing address in New York.

Offline Stella

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 06:25:20 AM »
It's a shame that artisan geek closed, I've ordered from Glengarry and they've been terrific. If you are in Europe a wonderful selection is available from Coquard. They have an on line catalogue. I've only ever ordered from them when I was in France and a cheese making friend ordered for me. Their products are wonderful and the prices good. I've heard from other people that ordering from them on line isn't easy. I'm trying to convince my husband that he really wants to go to France ( and Italy) then I can do my culture mold and mold shopping in person!!!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 07:01:40 PM »
Susan try the Cheese Connection in Seattle.  Great folks and great service.  www.cheeseconnection.net
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

AnnDee

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 04:55:43 PM »
Anyone in Asia and needs chr Hansen cultures can contact me. I buy Hansen's cultures in bulk (FD, CHN, R707 serie, STI thermo), I also have their rennet (Hansen stick). I don't sell them commercially but anyone who needs it can buy it off of me.