Author Topic: Parmesan at 1 year taste test  (Read 3711 times)

Duntov

Parmesan at 1 year taste test
« on: June 23, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »
This was my first Parmesan I ever made using two gallons of p/h milk.  It has now been aging for one year and I decided to give it a try.  It is very hard but not extremely dry.  It shaves and grates very well.  Except for Parmigiano Regiano, this is the best Parm I have tasted.  I will put half of it back in the cave for another year.  I currently have a four gallon raw milk Parm in the cave also. 

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Parmesan at 1 year taste test
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 06:29:43 PM »
AC4U!
-- Andy

DoctorCheese

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 08:18:29 PM »
Nice cheese. I am not patient enough for the longer aged cheeses, but I like seeing yours.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 12:39:56 PM »
Jobe, the key to patience on the long-aged cheeses is to alternate making shorter-aged cheeses with the long-aged makes. This way you can keep the "pipeline" full of cheese to enjoy, and can forget about that cheese aging away in the back of the "cave."

Here's an example schedule based on my experience / habits - when I can, I often make one 4-gallon cheese per weekend. (Lately, too often, it has been zero cheeses - too busy! - but once in a while I manage to get two cheeses made in a weekend.)

• Weekend 1: Caerphilly - it will be ready to start eating by weekend 4 (three weeks later) - or even a bit earlier.
  • Weekend 2: Lancashire or a set of Camemberts on weekend 2; either of these take about 6 weeks to age. (I generally make Cams in a 2-gallon batch.)
  • Weekend 3: Asiago, Emmental, maybe a Stilton or Gorgonzola - something that can be ready as soon as 3 months (though the first two in particular can be aged out much, much longer).
  • Weekend 4: Begin enjoying the Caerphilly, and make a long aging cheese - cheddar, which needs a minimum 6 month aging time in my experience, or parma/romano, which need AT LEAST 12 months, or whatever else.
  • Weekend 5: Still enjoying the Caerphilly, and only a couple of weeks away from opening the Lancashire or Camemberts - but it is time to get another cheese into the pipeline, so re-start the cycle at #2, making another Lancashire or set of Cams.

Once you get a cycle like this started, making a short-aging (6-week) cheese every 3 weeks or so, you can keep yourself satisfied with plenty of cheese indefinitely; some makes are aging away at the back of the cave, and some are coming in periodically along the way, and by Christmas you have quite an impressive collection of varieties to offer to your family. :) Obviously I don't (and can't, and wouldn't want) to stay on a strict rotation - I try something new along the way, or maybe I get off-track for a while, going several weekends without making any cheese. I can always start back at #1 with a Caerphilly to re-start the pipeline, but at this point, I usually still have enough stock from the 3 and 6 and 12 month aging cheeses that I can start back at #2 instead.
-- Andy

DoctorCheese

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 01:42:22 AM »
I think I will just purchase long aged cheeses. With how much I experiment, there is too high a probability of waiting 12 months for a cheese to end up being messed up because I never follow recipes  >:D In addition, I can vicariously enjoy the old aged cheeses you fine people make.

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 04:03:03 AM »
I think I will just purchase long aged cheeses. With how much I experiment, there is too high a probability of waiting 12 months for a cheese to end up being messed up because I never follow recipes  >:D In addition, I can vicariously enjoy the old aged cheeses you fine people make.

Then you should have bought your Cotija at the store.  lol

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 05:48:07 AM »
How do I give you a cheese? You certainly deserve it!

DoctorCheese

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 06:36:46 AM »
Then you should have bought your Cotija at the store.  lol
I have never seen smoked paprika Anejo in the store, which is what I actually made, and I do not appreciate your sass.

Duntov

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 01:44:58 PM »

I have never seen smoked paprika Anejo in the store, which is what I actually made, and I do not appreciate your sass.

I am not being sassy Jobe.  Just pointing out that your comment about Parm is no different than your mock Añejo (not Cotija) venture.  Portland has a big selection of ethnic Mexican markets and I am positive you can find Añejo in your area.  In fact, the largest maker of Añejo in the US, El Mexican brand by Marquez Brothers has an office in Portland indicating they are supplying the Portland area.  Give them a call at 503-257-8080 and ask them where to get it in your local.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 05:48:25 PM by Duntov »

DoctorCheese

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 05:34:35 PM »
My mistake! I must have misinterpreted your words. While I love technology dearly, it is often very difficult to pick up on the connotations of words when they are in text format. Often I think the reader sees themselves in the text, rather than the intentions of the writer. Almost akin to a Rorschach test. In regards to the making of my Anejo cheese being in stark contrast to my expressed disinterest in making cheeses that must be aged a long time, I would submit a plea of guilty. That cheese, being from early in my still short cheese making career, was an attempt to create something I love, throwing aside what obstacles may lie in obstruction to my goal (such as the aging time). I was blinded by love, as young people, or even just people who are young in their experience of a craft they have become passionate about, are want to be.

Thank you for providing me with a phone number and the other supplemental information. You are truly a gentleman and a scholar. Best of luck on your endeavors in all avenues of life.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 07:23:41 PM »
How do I give you a cheese? You certainly deserve it!

To give a cheese, click on the "Thumbs Up" link below the person's name. A nice way to show appreciation for pictures, extra effort, success, or even humble sharing of mistakes! :)
-- Andy

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 10:02:41 AM »
Congratulations. A great looking Parmesan.
Have a cheese from me for keeping your hands off it so long.
- Andrew

Offline stephmtl222

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 12:19:41 PM »
Congratulations! Great looking cheese!
How did you aged it? Vacuumed? Oiled?

Duntov

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 05:16:18 PM »
Congratulations! Great looking cheese!
How did you aged it? Vacuumed? Oiled?

Sorry for the late reply.  It is a natural rind that I oiled twice during the year of aging.  I think bagging would be a definate no-no for a Parm.

AnnDee

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 10:25:55 PM »
Looks great! AC4U!