Author Topic: Parmesan at 1 year taste test  (Read 3662 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Parmesan at 1 year taste test
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 06:21:09 PM »
Sorry for the late reply.  It is a natural rind that I oiled twice during the year of aging.  I think bagging would be a definate no-no for a Parm.

John, I have vac-bagged my parmesan makes, simply because I was afraid they would dry into a brick after 12+ months of aging -- both due to the relatively small size of make (4 gallons instead of 100 gallons or more) and due to the fact that my "cave" usually stays too dry. I do let my parms dry, just oiling occasionally, for a couple of months, and then vac-bag to prevent them from drying out further. I wouldn't be surprised if they might turn out better if I could age them out naturally, but they still do turn out quite well. It is really interesting the way they start to turn darker and darker caramel color as they get up to 18 - 24 months or so.

My guess - and admittedly that's all it is - is that I would gain more if I could make them from raw milk than I would gain from natural aging - but obviously best of all would be raw milk AND natural aging!
-- Andy

5ittingduck

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 10:08:05 PM »
I also vote for bagging Parmesan.
Mine were great, also darkened with age.

Duntov

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 11:33:19 PM »
I need to issue a correction.  I confused my two different makes of Parm.  The one I have shown in this thread that is one year old was a two gallon p/h make and was cream coated after the first month of aging.  My second Parm is a four gallon raw milk make and it is aging naturally with an olive oil rub.  If I feel it is drying out too much, I will probably cream coat it also.

The cream coat breaths unlike a bagging technique.  I think long aged cheeses need to breath to properly develop.  The problem with a parm is that it really is hard to judge how the inside is doing unless you break it open.  I am not against bagging entirely as I do bag younger cheeses like a Butterkase and a young Goudas destined for the smoker mainly to retain moisture and to avoid bad rinds.  I have found that long aged rinds on Gouda and Swiss styles don't taste very well at all.

Sorry for the mistake.  Old age is taking a grip on me.  But i still wouldn't bag a Parm personally as I feel cream coat slows down the drying out very nicely while still allowing it to breath that I think is a vital part of the final taste.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:31:48 PM by Duntov »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 01:14:36 PM »
John, based on what I have read here, I think you are right that the cream coating is the best alternative. I haven't (yet) invested in any, so no personal experience, but your own experience clearly bears that out!
-- Andy