Author Topic: Hello fellow cheese lovers  (Read 3441 times)

velward

Hello fellow cheese lovers
« on: June 11, 2008, 01:54:56 PM »
Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I am always looking for new cheese recipes and tips. I raise registered Lamanchas and Mini-manchas and usually have a good supply of milk during the summer. I have made tons of chevre, and some mozzarella. I would like to do some aged cheeses, but I need more information on the aging environment.

DaggerDoggie

Re: Hello fellow cheese lovers
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 04:17:37 PM »
Welcome!  It's always good to have another cheese lover, particularly one with access to some good, raw milk and experience working with it.

Nice to have you here. :)

Cheese Head

Hello fellow cheese lovers
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:04:49 PM »
Hello velward and welcome to this forum. I echo DD's thoughts, plus great that you have significant experience with making Chevre!

OK I'll admit it, I had no idea that those are two types of goats, had to google them :), look cute, love to see a couple snaps of them if you get a minute ;). Don't know where you are but there's another member here named RobJP in Japan who's been having some trouble making chevre with his goat's milk here if you have any advice for him.

On "cheese caves" there are some pictures in this forum on i) using a standard large kitchen fridge (bad), ii) using small and large soda pop/beer plastic coolers (poor), iii) basement cool rooms (good if you have the climate), and iv) non-forced dried air small or wine cooler type fridges (good). Also some info on temp-humidity gauges and sealing pressed cheeses for long term aging. This weekend I'm going to clean and start an non-forced air Toshiba fridge/freezer as my new cheese cave, I'll post pictures.

Welome again.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:07:11 PM by Cheese Head »

reg

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 11:06:32 AM »
good morning and welcome Velward. looking forword to hearing about your experiences in this hobby

reg

velward

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the cheese caves. I never thought of a wine fridge, but that would be almost perfect as some of them also have humidity control. I also cater so I happen to know a little about wine fridges. I am unable to see the photos of the cheese presses, do I need to download a certain reader or something? I live here in beautiful New Mexico.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 05:17:50 PM »
Hi velward, nope, you don;t need any viewer, all pictures should be visable.

My initial press and Reg's press are posted here, pictures are visable to me. DaggerDoggie's presses are posted here, and pictures now visable for me, DD had a problem from where he'd referenced the pictures to, now looks like fixed.

I'm building a bigger-heavy duty press & tools cart system here this weekend using a cart as a frame for weights (which will be boxes of soda pop or water).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:20:23 PM by Cheese Head »

merlin

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 01:10:46 AM »
Welcome aboard.  I don't make cheese but I'm a huge fan,  such a fan cheese buying is what I do for a living.  I can't wait to hear more about your cheeses!  Anytime raw milk is involved I'm excited for the cheese that is created.