Author Topic: Sous Vide  (Read 1909 times)

smcaro@gmail.com

Sous Vide
« on: June 26, 2017, 03:29:27 AM »
HI all,

I have both the Sous Vide Supreme and the Anova. The Supreme takes 10 Litres, the ANOVA I use in my biggest pot, 4.5 liters.

I have being doing my usual perusing thru all the forums here reading and learning every day, and I have run into some posts which mentions Sous Vide and even have pictures. They seem to all use the Anova or the like for a water bath. I simply pluck it into the milk and set the temperature.

Up to now, I have had some pretty looking results... Taste wise is a different story, but that is me and my wrongdoing, not the machines.

Any comments from those with longer experience than me?

Gen ONeill

Re: Sous Vide
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 10:44:40 AM »
I have been using a sous vide supreme however, I use a 12 quart pot and put it in the sous vide. I like that I can control the temperature accurately but it can take 45 minutes to and hour to hear the Milk to temperature.

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:54:40 PM »
Hi Gen,

Many thanks for your reply. Can I bother you for a couple of pictures? I know that different setups have been posted with pictures in these forums, but I would need a really provisional and easy to dismantle and store between batches. After all my kitchen here is 3.5 square meters ( that´s less than 40 sq. Feet). So I need every inch of space for all the uses of a kitchen. So small in fact, I have no oven or microwave. Just no space.

Gen ONeill

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 02:59:32 AM »
Here you go. I hope this gives you an idea of how much space you'll need.

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 03:06:23 AM »
Fantastic. Thank you Gen.... That setup might just work for me if I can find a Stainless steel pot similar to yours. And it would make cleaning the Supreme so much easier than when full of milk, way, curd, etc

Gen ONeill

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 06:19:42 AM »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
Are you using aluminum for the inner pot, in contact with the curds? Whenever I've used aluminum even just for a colander, I've gotten an unpleasant metallic taste in the cheese. (I use all-stainless now.) But if you're using it for an outer pot, it shouldn't make any difference.
-- Andy

Gen ONeill

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 12:13:46 AM »
The inner pot is aluminum. I'll let you know how it tastes in a week when I crack open my first cheese. Hopefully there isn't a metallic taste  :(

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 03:08:00 AM »
Gen, you shouldn't´t use aluminium in direct contact with the milk and/or curds, because there is a chemical reaction which affects the cheese badly. Vats, etc should always be SS, that is precisely why I use the Sous Vide Supreme and pour milk directly into it.

Gen ONeill

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 05:08:18 AM »
Thanks! Yeah I just ordered a stainless steel double boiler that will fit into the sous vide.

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 07:59:26 AM »
Well done!

e_squard

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 10:04:40 PM »
Here's a pic of my sous vide set up.  I use my kitchen sink for the water bath and put my SS pot in there.  Having an electric cook top, this has been SUCH a better way for me to make cheese. No more accidentally over cooking curds!

John@PC

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 10:09:45 PM »
A cheese for you Jen for the set-up.  A week ago my son made the suggestion of using a SV circulator-in-a-sink for a sous vide bath alternative but I didn't think about the cheese angle (duh  :().  There is definitely an intersection of cheese and sous vide (i.e. precision control of a liquid's temperature be it water or milk) so if you have a SV circulator and also like make cheese you can use it for double-duty :).

Karlosus

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 04:51:11 AM »
I have the anova. I use a 50L plastic tub from the hardware store as my water jacket. I then bought a 20L stainless steel bain maree container that you can buy from any hospitality supply store.

It works perfectly and I can store everything in the tub when finished. Also it allows me to do all my cheese making on the kitchen table and not have to take up space on the bench, sink or stove.

dc-k

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 07:58:12 PM »
I use a sous vide which is plunged into water, this turns my whole sink into the water bath and then I put a pot in. It keeps a very good temperature and has produced reasonable results so far...