Author Topic: First Roquefort cheese  (Read 846 times)

bgreen

First Roquefort cheese
« on: June 27, 2017, 07:36:10 AM »
Hi....just made my first Roquefort cheese, now at 2.5 weeks.  Happy with it so far... but new at this so not really sure what to look for.  Thought i might take a photo as its easier than trying to describe... and it may be at its best!  Wanting to avoid unwanted mould growth.... thinking i might be getting some early pink or orange... plenty of blue though at this stage.  What is the best way to prevent other mould if it does develop... your thoughts would be appreciated....thanks Bruce

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: First Roquefort cheese
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:16:40 PM »
Looks good to me. What I think I'm seeing in your picture is some geo, which often comes along for the ride, rather than b. Linens. (Hard to be sure without seeing it in person, of course.) I would predict that the blue will overwhelm anything else.
-- Andy

bgreen

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 06:02:18 PM »
Thanks Andy So at this stage just no need to do anything? And the blue will deal to it. When unwanted mould does develop do you every adjust humidity? Thanks Bruce

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 04:16:01 AM »
 A little on the dry side will keep b linens away , , though I do not feel it adds a whole lot in flavor when blue is around .

If you already pierced it then you need to reopen the holes , oxygen is what makes the blue grow on the inside .

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 07:54:04 PM »
What Gregore said. I age my blues in a ripening box inside my "cave," because my cave runs rather dry. Every day I take it out for an hour to let it air out, and wipe out the moisture that has gathered in the ripening box. This seems to work well for me ...
-- Andy