Author Topic: Aging: Margin of Error?  (Read 976 times)

gstone

Aging: Margin of Error?
« on: July 03, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »
So, as I begin to prepare a small basement room to become my cave, I'm still obliged to age my cheeses in less than satisfactory conditions. 

I currently have two options.  The first, the one I'm using, is another small basement room that stays between 60°F and 65°F but is difficult to regulate for humidity; the other is the downstairs fridge, which hovers between 45°F and 48°F when turned all the way down. 

My question is: which of these two less-than-optimal options will likely be the best for my cheeses in the long run?  So far, I'm not too displeased with the results in the warmer room, but I'm wondering if the fridge might be the better option.  Thoughts?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Aging: Margin of Error?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 04:13:14 AM »
getting a temp controller on that fridge is the best idea ,  but if for some reason that is not possible ..... like it is also used for food . Then I would go with the room .  If you had to do that you could use that fridge to make a bottle of ice every day .

Here is a link to an excellent article .

https://www.burakkanber.com/blog/cooling-a-room-with-2-liters-of-ice-calculation/

gstone

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 05:36:32 PM »
Thanks!  It's a tiny room, about 5'x7', so the ice bottle trick might help!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 05:29:48 AM »
You could even get a large cooler and use the ice packs in it . As you expand  your cheese making get more coolers .