Author Topic: Pics of my first few cheeses  (Read 1275 times)

clherestian

Pics of my first few cheeses
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:21:17 PM »
I only started making cheese a couple of months ago, and I started posting on this forum a few days ago. I thought it would be fun to post a few pics of the cheeses I have made so far. All of these were made with raw milk.

Here's the list:

4 two gallon batches of cow's milk mozzarella - one batch with citric acid and microwaved and one batch with citric acid but heated in the I cooked the curds in. The last two batches I made using the slow version without citric acid. The last time I put the curds in a seperate bowl and poured the hot water on them. All the batches turned out, but the last one was the best.

1 batch of cow's milk feta - It has been aging in my fridge in brine for four weeks. At first it didn't have much flavor, but now it tastes awesome.

1 batch of cow's milk cheddar - it went ok, but like I said in another post, even after pressing the curds didn't knit well.

1 batch of chevre - it went ok, except after draining the cheese was not creamy at all. The paste was crumply, dry and grainy. The flavor was awesome, though.

Here is a pic of all the cheeses except the moz's. The cheddar is on the left, the chevre is draining in the middle and the feta is on the right:

Here is a closer look at the feta after 4 weeks:

And here is a close-up of the chevre:

And just for fun, here are pics of goats at a dairy we visited last weekend. They make some of the best goat cheese I have eaten:

-Christian

Sedona

Re: Pics of my first few cheeses
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:39:12 PM »
Hi Christian, nice looking cheeses. And i like the goats too, lol.
I just started out with the cheesemaking in may, and i need already a bigger cave, huhhh.  ;D
Sedona