Author Topic: My first Taleggio using cultured yogurt  (Read 2790 times)

Duntov

My first Taleggio using cultured yogurt
« on: July 04, 2017, 05:40:41 PM »
This is my first attempt at a smeared stinky cheese.  I have had much success following recipes at cheesemaking.com but find that many are poorly written.  Below is my simplified rewritten recipe.  I am only at day 6 but will be including updates in the future.

Ingredients:

3 U.S. Gal. Raw Milk
2 Ounces (57 grams) Cultured Raw Yogurt
1 Pinch (1/16 Tsp.) Brevibacterium Linens
2 ml or slightly less than 1/2 Tsp. Single Strength Animal Rennet

Procedure:

1.   Heat milk to 93F (34C).
  2.   Add yogurt & B. Linens, stir well and let rest 30 minutes holding 93F.
  3.   Stir in rennet and let rest for 30 minutes holding 93F.
  4.   Cut curds into large 1.5” (4 centimeters) spacing and let rest for 5 minutes.
  5.   Break down curds to .5” (13mm) size over the next 10 – 15 minutes.
  6.   Gently stir for another 15-25 minutes holding temperature at 93F.
  7.   Curds should be barely cooked through but not dry.
  8.   Let the curds settle to the bottom of the pot and then ladle into a square 7.7” x 7.7” (195mm x 195mm) Taleggio mold.  A 9” (230mm) round mold can be used as-long-as it has many holes for proper whey drainage.
  9.   Keep the mold in a 75-85F (23-30C) area and flip the mass every 30-45 minutes for 3-4 hours.
10.   Put the cheese still in the mold into a ripening box with a lid and wait 16-20 hours holding at 75-85F.
11.   Remove the cheese from the mold and brine for 6 hours in a 20% solution.
12.   Remove cheese from brine, pat dry and place back into the ripening box.  Place in a cool cave set to 46-52F (8-11C).  Hold humidity at about 85% inside the box.
13.   Flip daily.
14.   On day 6 it is time to smear with a brine that includes additional B. Linens.  Use 1 cup of purified water along with 1 tsp. salt and 1/16th tsp. (1 pinch) of B. Linens.  The cheese at this point is ‘greasy’ feeling.  Gently wash the cheese with the B. Linen brine and let air dry for a hour or two then place the ripening box back into the cave.
15.   On day 8 & 9 wash with a normal brine without B. Linens.  Place back into the ripening box while still wet.
16.   Flip every few days and age 4-6 weeks.  Only brine wash if unwanted mold is a problem.

NOTE: The cheese will ripen from the outside going in.  The cooler than normal cave temperature will help provide a uniform smooth paste (hopefully) at the end of the aging process.  Any other cheeses in the cave will not be harmed by the cooler temperature but will merely slow the aging a bit until cave temps are raised again when the Taleggio is complete.

e_squard

Re: My first Taleggio using cultured yogurt
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 09:30:39 PM »
Hey John!  I made my first taleggio this last week, too!  Made a connection with someone with a Jersey cow. I got 2.5 gallons of raw milk for this cheese.  I also used the recipe from cheesemaking.com, though, my instructions seem a little different, calling for 2.5 gal, and some variation in different steps, but still ripened with cultured yogurt.

Yesterday I placed my cheese in the cave after air-drying for a day post-brine.  One of the questions I have is the directions say that after the first two washes (1st with b. lines, 2nd without) to repeat the second wash every 3-5 days. Then let the cheese age 4-6 weeks. My question is how long do I follow the 3-5 day washings? Until the rind is developed?  Or only if intruder molds are seen? It did not mention wrapping, so I don't plan to do that.

I hope you post regular updates on your taleggio - I will, too! It'll be fun to compare notes!

Here's mine in the brine.

Duntov

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 05:23:01 PM »
I also used the recipe from cheesemaking.com, though, my instructions seem a little different, calling for 2.5 gal, and some variation in different steps, but still ripened with cultured yogurt.

My question is how long do I follow the 3-5 day washings? Until the rind is developed?  Or only if intruder molds are seen? It did not mention wrapping, so I don't plan to do that.

Hi Em!  So we have a cheese race!  Very cool.  I did alter the recipe ever so slight by rounding up to whole gallons.  I am also a bit confused about the washings during aging so I am 'winging it" a bit.  I just did the brine only wash but not sure why.  I have no mold as of yet on the rind but it is very 'greasy' feeling.  Maybe the wash is to get rid of it?  I am looking forward to seeing the orange rind when it decides to appear.  I did use the red variation of B Linens. 

AnnDee

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 10:16:25 PM »
Nice cheese both of you!
Do you think feta moulds will work for making taleggio?

e_squard

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »
Hey AnnDee, check out the recipe blog on cheesemaking.com for the taleggio recipe - it talks about the different molds that can be used and the expected outcomes. :)

My taleggio is on day 9 of aging and had 1 brine+ b. linens wash. It didn't feel very greasy at the time, but it definitely smelled like yeast. I'll be doing brine only washes from here on out every 3-5 days for the next few weeks.
Photo is from July 13th.

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 12:19:48 PM »
This is a four week update.  Not sure if I am a little early cutting it open but it tastes really good and a little on the salty side.  The paste is soft and even throughout.  The orange color on the rind took some time to develop and is a little uneven due to me be too aggressive cleaning one time.  All-in-all I enjoy this cheese very much and will do it again.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:26:19 PM by Duntov »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 07:52:01 PM »
Nice - AC4U!
-- Andy

Duntov

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:24:43 AM »
Nice - AC4U!

Thanks Andy.  I must say that this was a fun make and I really enjoy the taste and texture.  I was really surprised when I took it to a family gathering and it disappeared fast with lots of compliments.  None of them have ever had a stinky cheese.

AnnDee

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 09:56:03 PM »
Beautiful cheese, John. AC4U!
How about the stink level?

e_squard

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 09:44:42 PM »
Wow!  It looks fantastic! 

Mine is still aging since I used raw milk.  I definitely got some undesirable mold growth - a little P. Candidum was probably from my cheese cave and my previous cheese, but I also got some dark colored mold that I've never had before on my cheese - it seemed to come from within the cheese because it didn't brush off.  I've continued to brush and wash every few days.  I'm wondering if these molds are from the milk not being pasteurized? This is my first raw milk cheese so I'm guessing.
Will post a a current photo this evening. Photo shown is from day 26.  Today is day 53.  The stink is definitely here now. The room that I have my mini-fridge in has a distinct odor to it. lol.

Also, my humidifier took a dump last week any my cheese got dry. *doh!*  Amazon to the rescue!

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
    • Rainy Day Cheese Making
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 06:04:04 PM »
Hi John :)

I think your taleggio  looks really great! You have me interested in trying one out myself now!

Hi Em :)

You never got that mould before when you used pasteurized milk? How long are you going to let it age before cutting it? I'm curious to see how it'll look on the inside.

Rain

Duntov

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 04:36:50 PM »
Em, mine also has some dark mold but it washed off fairly easy.  I didn't use the standard follower that came with the hoop because I thought it would give too many hiding places for bad mold.  I wouldn't worry about it much however.  Just scrape it off when ready to eat.

cats

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 10:06:23 PM »
Well done Duntov ! AC4U

Makes me want to try this now. :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 05:13:31 AM »
I didn't use the standard follower that came with the hoop
What did you use for the follower ends? Your rind looks just like I've been trying to achieve...like Grayson.

Sweet little cheese, John. Have a cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Duntov

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 12:46:43 AM »
What did you use for the follower ends? Your rind looks just like I've been trying to achieve...like Grayson.

Sweet little cheese, John. Have a cheese.

-Boofer-

Thanks Boofer!  Technically I did use the follower but I cut a course draining mat to fit that was between the curds and the supplied follower  Then I used a fine draining mat in the ripening box.  The constant flipping eventually smoothed it all out pretty well.