Author Topic: I can't for the life of me make mozzarella!  (Read 1293 times)

slittleton326

I can't for the life of me make mozzarella!
« on: July 12, 2017, 12:12:55 AM »
I have tried 3 times in the past 3 days to make mozzarella and it has just about bested me. I followed the 30 minute recipe on cheesemaking.com.

My ingredients:
New England Cheesemaking Supply 1 X Liquid Animal Rennet 2 oz
Milliard Citric Acid - 1 Pound - 100% Pure Food Grade NON-GMO
1 gallon whole milk

I have tried 3 different types of milk thinking that I was buying milk that hadn't been pasteurized as it was labeled (NONE of them said UP), until finally buying a gallon from my local dairy.

I didn't follow the recipe exactly because it states to let the rennet and milk mixture sit for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the mixture was still quite runny so I let it sit for 10. It was still not looking as it should, but I moved forward. After reheating my curds they were very broken up, I stirred VERY slowly and carefully after learning I stirred too quickly during attempt #1.

I still pressed on and tried to use a slotted spoon to separate the curds, they were extremely too weak and watery. I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm about to throw in the towel. Help!

The first picture is after reheating the curds to 105. The second picture is after microwaving my separated "curds" for 1 minute.

5ittingduck

Re: I can't for the life of me make mozzarella!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 04:29:49 AM »
I can't either :(
I just found someone who could make it and swap old cheese for new......

lovinglife

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »
Try a cultured recipe, it takes longer but the results are better, for me anyway, plus it has more flavor.  Mozzarella is not an easy cheese to start with so don't get discouraged.

slittleton326

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 05:45:15 PM »
Thank you for the works of encouragement. I will give a culture a try!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:22:13 PM »
As others have said, Mozzarella is actually one of the hardest cheeses to make successfully. I think the reason it is marketed as a beginner cheese is only because of the possibility of a 30-minute make. Some on this forum seem to be able to do that make consistently and successfully; I never have. But one thing I have read here on the forum that might make a difference - someone has suggested that adding the citric acid while the milk is still cold is a key to success.
-- Andy

AnnDee

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 12:12:03 AM »
Do you use non pasteurised and non homogenised milk for all the make?
For mozzarella I found I can make with pasteurised milk as long as it is not homogenised.
I agree with Andy, put the citric acid solution while the milk still cold, and after you rennet wait until you get firm curd, sometimes warming it helps to get firmer curd.