Author Topic: Gouda with Pickled Jalapeno  (Read 131 times)

Offline 5ittingduck

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 25
Gouda with Pickled Jalapeno
« on: July 16, 2017, 03:14:08 AM »
I love spicy food, and this one was made specifically for me. 
Made mid December 2016 from raw Jersey milk to Ricki Carroll's Gouda recipe, I added homegrown and pickled Jalapenos.  Not too hot, but nice and spicy. 
As it's made in summer, texture is quite firm, not like the soft, luscious spring Gouda we were making earlier.  It could actually be mistaken at first for a cheddar, it has quite a cheddar "Bite" to it as well.  The chilli comes through as a delicate afterburn. 
This is my favourite "additive" cheese so far.  It's ready now, exactly the right balance of tastes, and visually satisfactory.  I had to pack 3/4 away again or I will demolish the lot. 
Yum.

Online AnnDee

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 87
  • Default personal text
Re: Gouda with Pickled Jalapeno
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:33:49 AM »
Yummy looking cheese indeed.
Ann

Offline Duntov

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 70
  • My real name is John!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 12:44:06 PM »
A cheese from me, another pepper lover!  Just curious...... when I use pickled peppers, I soak them for a long time to get the vinegar out so it will not stop the cultures from maturing.  How did you prep the peppers and do you think they may have had an influence on the taste?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:09:29 PM by Duntov »
The Rinds, they are a changin. 
- John

Offline 5ittingduck

• Medium Cheese
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 05:10:49 PM »
Floating on my raft of blissful ignorance, I drained them through my fingers, chopped them up and dumped them into the curds immediately.
The same forces that protect drunks and small children worked for me and it worked perfectly.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 166
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 03:12:42 PM »
I'd be interested in your recipe for pickling the peppers. Oh, and the cheese looks great - AC4U! :)
-- Andy

Offline 5ittingduck

• Medium Cheese
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 06:10:17 PM »
This is my Pickled Pepper recipe.
The peppers stay crisp for a long time and the vinegar is very fragrant.

Wash and slice 1.5kg Jalapeno Peppers.
Brine overnight in 4 cups of water with 100G salt dissolved in it and allowed to cool.  (Cheesemaker's note.. if you use old cheese brining liquid, there will be a bit of whey and some cheese cultures in it which add a little piquancy, can recommend).  Weight the chillies with a plate so they are all submerged.
Spiced Vinegar:
1 litre Cider Vinegar,
3/4 cup sugar,
15 g of each of the following: Allspice berries, Coriander Seeds, Cardamom seeds.
Cinnamon stick (lg)
a few cloves
4 bay leaves.
Heat but don't boil, stir to dissolve sugar, turn off the heat as soon as the sugar has dissolved and allow to cool.  Leave it to infuse overnight.
Next day, strain the bits out of the vinegar, drain the chillies (I don't dry them, I like a bit of salt left in the pickle)
Stuff the chillies into sterilized jars quite tightly, fill the jars (right up) with the cool spiced vinegar and seal.
These will be best after a week or so, and will last a couple of years, though the second year they will loose the slight crispness they have for the first year.
Mine rarely last a whole year.

This recipe is a modification of a Pickled Onion recipe from a book by Sally Wise called "A year in a bottle".
It contains a lot of really useful old style preserving recipes and I use it all the time.
https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Sally_Wise_A_Year_in_a_Bottle_How_to_Make_Your_Own?id=0qAItbjaGDUC
This pickling vinegar is particularly good, and I use it for onions and chillies, but also good for other veggies.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 166
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 08:41:53 AM »
Thanks!
-- Andy