Author Topic: Tomme Rind  (Read 4084 times)

Dorchestercheese

Tomme Rind
« on: July 21, 2017, 11:01:28 PM »
I made two Tomme wheels about one month ago.. I washed them off and on with some whey from the batch.  Now the surface is getting white mold and some blue spots and brown spots .. should I worry about the blue? Or just let it be?

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: Tomme Rind
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:27:41 PM »
Wild blues can give an unpleasant taste if unattended but they are unlikely to penetrate far into the cheese.
If you are trying for a natural rind, you may want to brush the cheese every few days to keep the mould under control.
If you want a clean rind, regular cleaning with strong brine containing some vinegar is probably the best bet. This could be followed up with wax or some other coating.
Personally, I generally have some blue turn up on all my cheeses (except Camembert and washed rinds) but I find it quite easy to control. Strangely, when it has been removed, it leaves a bright yellow stain on the rind.
- Andrew

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 12:51:14 AM »
Thanks for the info!
I want a brown rind like you see many Tomme have .. brushing will remove everything maybe I'll spot brush it

AnnDee

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 01:45:09 AM »
If you want a traditional Savoie looking rind, stop washing it with the whey. Let it grow microflora on the surface, the blues and greys will come, you just have to brush it. After 2 months the blues and greys that accumulating on the rind will look brown but this is only on the surface, the paste is clean and oh so yummy.

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 01:10:09 PM »
Thanks everyone..I'll brush them

AnnDee

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 03:20:42 PM »
This is the rind of my Tomme close to 2 months old.

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »
wow super nice Ann!
I see you have a nice cheese cave behind you..any pics I'm always curious what people do with their fridges wooden boards etc 

Duntov

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 07:41:52 PM »
I am jealous!  AC4U.

gstone

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 11:59:43 PM »
Strangely, when it has been removed, it leaves a bright yellow stain on the rind.
So that's where that's from! No wonder I can't get it off.

AnnDee

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 10:46:30 PM »
wow super nice Ann!
I see you have a nice cheese cave behind you..any pics I'm always curious what people do with their fridges wooden boards etc

I have few cheese fridges now for different use (especially because I start making blue and those guys infect everything). This is a pic of 1 of my smaller fridge on a good day.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:53:16 PM by AnnDee »

Wrangler

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 11:08:24 PM »
wow super nice Ann!

I have few cheese fridges now for different use (especially because I start making blue and those guys infect everything). This is a pic of 1 of my smaller fridge on a good day.

Ann,

That cheese looks AMAZING! I really look forward to working my way towards that kind of set up. I also like the way that you have labeled the cheeses. I may have to borrow that idea  ::) also what kind of wood are you using for the shelving?

Thanks

W

AnnDee

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 11:21:00 PM »
Hi Wrangler,
I use teak wood, no polish or any chemical on it but it is sun dried and ovened to remove moisture. I recently use bamboo chopping board too, they work well and they don't warp.

Wrangler

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 11:23:29 PM »
Hi Wrangler,
I use teak wood, no polish or any chemical on it but it is sun dried and ovened to remove moisture. I recently use bamboo chopping board too, they work well and they don't warp.

Thanks Ann! Do you commercially make cheese?

AnnDee

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 11:29:08 PM »
I am venturing into it  ;D but still constructing a better set up   ^-^

Wrangler

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 11:32:26 PM »
I am venturing into it  ;D but still constructing a better set up   ^-^

Good for you!