Author Topic: Tomme Rind  (Read 4079 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Tomme Rind
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »
Wow! What a collection of cheese wheels! Impressive. 8)

How many cheeses or kilograms of cheese do you make in a week or month? I'm wondering how old some of these cheeses are.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

AnnDee

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 01:05:25 AM »
Haha thank you!
I make around 200L to 300L weekly or around 25-39 kgs. The pic is of my smaller cave dedicated for my newest cheeses, they stay there until they get dry and they pic up some microflora from the other cheese.
The older cheese stay in a different cave, mostly vacuum packed.

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 03:13:43 PM »
Ann-Great fridge!  I'm getting ready to segregate out my blues as well.  What brand refrigerator is that? I really like the way the shelves rack holders are designed...my fridge currently makes it very difficult to get a full shelf of useful space.

AnnDee

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 12:35:58 AM »
This is just a local brand, they can custom make the specs and cheaper too!
Have you thought of using a drink chiller, like the ones they use to chill sodas in minimart or convinient store? They work really well.

Offline Stella

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 04:46:42 PM »
Anne your cheeses are beautiful! How do you achieve the perfect rinds?

AnnDee

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 01:08:01 AM »
For Tomme, I let it grow mold and dry brush every now and then. For the other cheese that I don't want too much mold on, I wash with salted whey or oil or put herbs, spices or honey on it.
If I want pristine and clean rind on my cheese, I put honey (I use raw honey). Most important thing before all this treatment is too dry the cheese properly, I dry in cave that I set to 14-15C with humidity of around 65-75%.

gstone

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 09:16:29 PM »
I'd love to hear your honey technique, if you don't mind!

Offline Stella

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2019, 06:43:40 AM »
Hi Anne I was revisiting the forum and rediscovered this thread , I’ve never heard of treating a rind with raw honey, my husband is a bee keeper so this really intrigues me! Could you please elaborate?

AnnDee

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2019, 06:58:06 AM »
Hi!
Sorry I didn’t see this earlier. Based on my experience using honey to treat rind;
1. Make sure the cheese is dried properly. Rub the cheese when they are 2-3 weeks old.
2. Raw pure honey is the best honey
3. I use around 2-3 tbs honey for 4-5 kgs wheel of cheese
4. Apply on 1 end and side, leave to dry for a while (I put them back in the cave for 1-2 hours), then flip and rub the other end. You can rub more honey in another 2-4 weeks if you wish. I rub my Montasio style twice throughout the first 2 months, then I let them grow wild. After 4 months the mould might come but very tame ones and I like them on my older cheese.

I hope this helps.

Offline Stella

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2019, 07:46:56 AM »
Thanks so much! My husband is a bee keeper, it’s extraction season so there is a lot of raw honey. I’ll give it a try and report back