Author Topic: Can I make a Gouda without waxing or vacuum sealing it?  (Read 920 times)

artmustel

Can I make a Gouda without waxing or vacuum sealing it?
« on: July 24, 2017, 05:12:18 PM »
Hello all! After being a newbie for a while and having success with Queso Fresco and Manchego type, I want to try my luck making a Gouda type cheese, but I don't want to wax or vacuum seal it. Can I make a Gouda just the same I made my Manchegos (rubbing them with olive oil)? Or, is there another natural rind advisable? Please let me know how to achieve it, and thanks in anticipation!  ;)

Duntov

Re: Can I make a Gouda without waxing or vacuum sealing it?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 06:54:41 PM »
A Gouda should do just fine with the olive oil rub. 

artmustel

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 07:08:54 PM »
Thank you Duntov!

lovecheese

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »
Or just wipe and turn it. When it gets too mouldy scrub it under a running tap and let it dry again.

Col68

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 08:18:29 AM »
hello Artmustel, as Duntov suggests olive oil work well, there is also coconut butter that you lightly heat to make liquid and add a bit of salt then soak this mixture on the cheese without too thickening a thin layer is enough, I try the experience on Gouda it works well too.

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 08:28:10 PM »
I agree on the Olive Oil Rub as stated above. I also recently made a Gouda and brushed it every few days and the rind turned out good. Good luck!

Mike