Author Topic: Hello from the Green Mountain State  (Read 1598 times)

lambofgoth

Hello from the Green Mountain State
« on: July 01, 2009, 05:19:35 PM »
Hello Forumites!  I've posted a couple of times prior to this but thought I would do a little introduction.

I've been raising goats for 14 years and currently have a small flock of Oberhasli goats.  I've been primarily fresh cheeses for the last 12 years or so.  Recently we purchased some East Friesian sheep and have absolutely fallen in love with the sheep and their milk. 

We are currently making cheese (feta + ricotta salata in the fridge aging now) from our sheep as well as yogurt, ice cream (my personal favorite) and soap.  Our goats are providing us with drinking milk, chevre, feta (sometimes mixed with ewe's milk) and soap. 

I would love to find others who are also milking dairy sheep.  We seem like a fairly rare breed!  :)

Cheese Head

Re: Hello from the Green Mountain State
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:38:03 PM »
Howdy Lamb and welcome to this forum!

I agree, not many Sheep's milk cheese makers here, good for you! FYI there is a Shee['s Milk cheese making guide I posted in our Library here.

(PS: What is the Green Mountain State?)

lambofgoth

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 12:15:28 AM »

(PS: What is the Green Mountain State?)

Vermont.  Verte is French for green.  Mont... well, mountain.  :)

And thank you for the link!  I had not seen that!  :)

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 10:06:22 AM »
Thanks now I know, never knew Vermont was mountainous, don't get many from vermont down here in Houston ;). I think you are our first member from there, so I've just added it to our list and added a Geographic Board.

After making cheese for 12 years I suspect you don't need much help but it's always good to find new stuff.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 02:58:36 AM »
Welcome Lamb! Your in a great location for cheese! I've been wanting to take some time off and take one of Peter Dixons classes for years and just haven't managed it!

Captain Caprine

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 04:51:26 AM »
Hi Lamb,
I'll be interested to hear more of your dairy sheep experiences.  We have been thinking about adding a couple for some time now but I have decided that a new barn is needed first.
Cheers
CC