Author Topic: lactic set bloomy rind cheese daily flipping  (Read 1414 times)

Offline lrunyenj

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
    • Laura Runyen-Janecky's web site
lactic set bloomy rind cheese daily flipping
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:35:31 PM »
I am making my first lactic set bloomy rind cheese using Gianaclis Cadwell's recipe from Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking.  I understand whydaily flipping or movement of the cheese is important so that the developing mold does not stick to mat.  However, I need to leave town this weekend on day 1 and day 2 after salting.  If I salt on Thursday for 254 hours and then flip Friday at dinner, does anyone have advise on how risky it is to wait until Sunday dinner for next flip.  The alternative is to bring the cheeses with me in the car (I have a portable incubator).    Thanks from a newbie cheesemaker.

SOSEATTLE

Re: lactic set bloomy rind cheese daily flipping
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 01:14:21 AM »
From personal experience I have found that it is relatively important to flip bloomies daily during the early stages. Not so much for mold management at this stage, but to keep moisture and milk fat more evenly distributed until the curd dries out and firms up a bit. I generally don't make cheese right before leaving town, but if you can take the cheese and tend to it without too much trouble I would probably do that. Otherwise, you can take your chances and see what happens. That is often how we learn  :D.

Susan

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 05:05:46 AM »
That is really only 1 missed flip , I certainly have been known to forget occasionally with out dire consequences.

I would throw it in the regular fridge for the 2 days with the lid slightly off, it is not perfect but the best possible option .

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 02:35:37 PM »
I would agree -- obviously not ideal, but this is a short enough interval not to be a disaster.
-- Andy