Author Topic: Cheddar style cheese page 273 of G. Caldwells books Mastering Artisan Cheesemak  (Read 773 times)

Dorchestercheese

This may be an english question but here goes.
On page 272 last sentence...'Hold, and stir for 45-60 minutes'  Does this include the 30 minutes it took to get to 102F or in addition to the 30 minutes?  I reached pH at 45 minutes total after cutting curd.  Did i get there too fast and not stir the curd long enough to dry it out? Or was it ok?  Its a detail but a detail that could cause a drier curd?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
I would interpret it to mean 45-60 minutes after reaching 102°. I have found that part of what makes this an art, rather than a science, is getting all the variables to meet at the right point - pH, dryness of curd, heat, and then later pressing or cheddaring time vs. pH.

One thing I want to look into more is the issue of buffering - some things in milk will buffer the pH, slowing down its progression. But I need to go back and read more - I recall seeing this, but at the time it kinda went in one ear and out the other.
-- Andy

Dorchestercheese

Can't change but so much of Mother Nature but how do you work with her.  I read it that way too.. need to cut back on the inoculate with the raw milk I guess..I stopped at the pH

Duntov

I have been in the situation also with too fast acidification.  A pinch of baking soda has helped me out without any ill effects.  I also use it to adjust my brines sometimes.