Author Topic: What is the function of Calcium Chloride in brine solutions?  (Read 1435 times)

artmustel

I understand what Calcium Chloride does in a cheese recipe if I don't use raw milk, however I would like to know what its function is in brines. Thanks!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: What is the function of Calcium Chloride in brine solutions?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 02:33:29 PM »
If you do not have calcium in the brine, the brine will leach calcium from the surface of the cheese, and the result will be a slimy feeling on the cheese. Note that you do not need to add CaCl if you have started with whey, nor if you are re-using brine - only need to add it when first mixing up brine using distilled water. Then you need to add CaCl and some acid (white vinegar) to balance the brine so that it resembles the makeup of whey in calcium and pH. Oh, and of course you need to add salt. :)
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 06:03:37 AM »
You also need to add ca cl if you heat the whey above 160 f. To get out the curd . Or at least I do.

I always use my whey for my feta and after a few days it gets a little slimey . So now  I always  add a little ca cl

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 03:32:03 PM »
That's interesting. I hadn't thought about the calcium depletion that might occur when making ricotta ...
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:52:43 AM »
It happened the first time it was pasturized , then we add cacl , then re pasturizing temps will damage it again .

That has been my experience .  I have found I would rather have a fete that has to much calcium rather than to little , I do not much like the slimey surface texture.