Author Topic: what else is there to do at 5am  (Read 1018 times)

oldhead

what else is there to do at 5am
« on: July 29, 2017, 09:26:17 AM »
Well, this will be my 3rd cheese. I made 2 farm house cheddar's. Going to try Gouda this time. here is my stuff drying after being sanitized. I built the press. I measured the press weights using my refrigeration scale, I figured that would be accurate enough.

i863.photobucket.com Interesting, I guess photobucket won't allow you to share pictures anymore

https://pix.sfly.com/VExG0T
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 10:03:56 AM by oldhead »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: what else is there to do at 5am
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 03:25:22 PM »
Yes, PhotoBucket has instituted a ransom system, asking for money in order to show pictures that had previously been available for free. It is messing up a lot of on-line forums!

You might want to consider uploading the picture directly to this forum. One catch - this forum allows you to upload pictures at full resolution, but it does not scale them before sending them to a browser - the browser will scale them to show appropriately on screen, but in the background multiple megabytes have been sent. This can significantly slow down the forum for some users on limited bandwidth. Also be aware that the forum software often does not orient pictures correctly, especially those from iPhones or other Apple devices - so the picture may come up sideways.

Meanwhile, I don't recall if I have already welcomed you to the forum, but even if I have, welcome! And great job on building the press. We look forward to more reports and more pictures!
-- Andy

Duntov

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 05:18:55 PM »
I have been frustrated as-well with some of the online hosting sites.  My new solution is to turn my NAS drive into a web server.  That way my photos are mine and nobody can shut it down.

oldhead

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 10:09:03 PM »
Yes, PhotoBucket has instituted a ransom system, asking for money in order to show pictures that had previously been available for free. It is messing up a lot of on-line forums!

You might want to consider uploading the picture directly to this forum. One catch - this forum allows you to upload pictures at full resolution, but it does not scale them before sending them to a browser - the browser will scale them to show appropriately on screen, but in the background multiple megabytes have been sent. This can significantly slow down the forum for some users on limited bandwidth. Also be aware that the forum software often does not orient pictures correctly, especially those from iPhones or other Apple devices - so the picture may come up sideways.

Meanwhile, I don't recall if I have already welcomed you to the forum, but even if I have, welcome! And great job on building the press. We look forward to more reports and more pictures!

I actually signed up for shutterfly and linked to that. I was going to use flickr but they insisted I open a yahoo email

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:02:21 AM »
I have been frustrated as-well with some of the online hosting sites.  My new solution is to turn my NAS drive into a web server.  That way my photos are mine and nobody can shut it down.

What software did you use?
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 04:59:15 AM »

What software did you use?

I have a Synology NAS and it comes with the appropriate applications.  I am getting help from an IT friend to get it configured.