Author Topic: Cream, Cow's Ultra Pasteurized - Leave in Or Out Of Recipe?  (Read 2695 times)

Sedona

I'm just curious what you all do when a recipe calls for heavy cream, and only UP is available in stores. Don't make the cheese, leave the cream out?
The grocery stores here have only UP.
Sedona

zenith1

Re: Cream, Cow's Ultra Pasteurized - Leave in Or Out Of Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 06:27:19 PM »
What are you going to make with the up heavy cream?  I have used it to add to a Romano recipe that I was playing with. The cheese came out very nice, so I believe that you would be OK to add to a similar recipe. UP products are not going to work for your Mozz.

Sedona

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 11:03:36 PM »
I been thinking about the Romano from the Ricki Carroll's book, and she got a few soft cheeses which require heavy cream or half & half.
The Mascarpone is only made with cream.
I prefer hard cheeses, but sometimes is nice to make a soft one too as a spread.
I'm planning to make a 2 lb Manchego now, this one don't require heavy cream - because i didn't get any in the store was afraid too.
So the Romano do alright with the UP cream?
Thanks,
Sedona

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 05:11:51 PM »
mine turned out very nicely. Are you going to use sheep's milk for the Manchego? I have made that on several occasions and it is one of my favorites even though I could not obtain the sheep's milk and had to use cow's milk. I even tried a Manchego with 50% goat's milk and that had very good flavor.

Sedona

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 08:02:57 PM »
I made the cheese with cow's milk. Can't get any sheep milk here. The next time i make it with goat's milk. I have a friend she got goats and i can have all the milk i want.
I went this morning to the store and got the UP heavy cream and made also the Romano. 
I think I'm addicted now with cheese making, lol.  Last month i bought a small 4.9 cu. ft. refrigerator and thought that one is big enough. It's already filled up with the cheeses i made. So now i got my eyes on a freezerless 16.8 cu. ft.
Sedona

zenith1

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 10:39:56 PM »
You could definitely  have worse addictions sedona! I think everyone here has the same addiction as you. So many cheeses, so little time! You are very lucky to have access to goat's milk like you do. I buy mine from a small farm about 35 miles away for $9/gal. Happy Fourth of July to you and everyone on the forum. :)

Sedona

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 10:54:53 PM »
Wow Zenith, $9 a gallon that's a lot & have to drive 35 miles. I wish i could give you some gm from my friend.
Yeah you right with the addiction, lol.
Aren't you in Colorado?  I been there several times & love it in Estes Park.
Happy fourth to you too & everyone else in the forum.

zenith1

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 06:24:20 PM »
no unfortunately I live in New York State about 25 miles from West Point near a college town called New Paltz. it is a nice area with the beautiful Shawangunk Mountains in our back yard, but never the less, it is still NY!

Sedona

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 08:40:03 PM »
Hmmm, i probably pictured you in Colorado, lol. 
I bet is pretty where you are. We don't have any mountains in W. Ky.
And humid, muggy here, huhh.
I'm ready to move to Arizona.

Colaly

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 05:37:38 PM »
The only store I have found non UP cream is Trader Joes. They are reasonable priced though.