Author Topic: More experiments.  (Read 997 times)

5ittingduck

More experiments.
« on: August 01, 2017, 07:18:20 AM »
This is a Gouda made to my usual recipe, (I think I have made nearly a hundred of these cheeses in the last 3 years) with no additives, and a rub of Cajun Spices added before I vac bagged it and matured it 6 months. 
Milk source was 100% Jersey (Roxy and Helen) from February, feed was grass and hay. 
The spice rub was just a commercial packet mix with salt, thyme, paprika, cumin, Garlic, pepper, sugar and a few other things. 
On opening the bag, I noticed a slight haze of moisture, not unexpected with the extra salt in the rub. 
Cut, the cheese has definite eyes, very pronounced orange colour, and a little whey weeping from the bubbles.  I didn't add any secondary cultures. 
The cheese is salty, spicy, very rich in flavour.  It's a nice balance, and even the wife liked the saltiness though she's not usually a fan. I'll do this again.
It was a surprise to me that the colour and the salty spiciness migrated so evenly through the paste.  I thought I would get a "smoke ring" effect.
The eyes are interesting.  They are clearly P.S. style eyes which formed even at the 12 Celsius I mature at.  Clearly my milk hosts the organism or a similar strain, and the different salting here has promoted it's growth past the usual little "mechanical gaps" I have traditionally found in my Gouda.
LOL, the more you learn in this game, the more you realise you don't know........

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Re: More experiments.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 01:43:52 AM »
Awesome!
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

waltweissman

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 02:39:35 PM »
If I saw that in a cheese cabinet in a fancy cheese shop, I would just have to try it!  Beautiful.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 03:45:01 PM »
I don't know how this got missed. ???

Excellent experiment...sounds very tasty. :P Have a cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 04:22:41 PM »
I suspect that the whey being drawn out by the vacuum allowed the color to wick throughout the cheese.  Whatever the reason have a cheese for an outstanding cheese. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos