Author Topic: First Time Cheese Maker and Cheese Smells after a month of aging  (Read 1642 times)

stav5371

Dear Community,
I started making cheese with my 12 and 10 year old sons about a month ago.  I used a kit from cheesemaking.com purchased at a cheese, beer and wine making store in Akron, Ohio.  I decided to start with a farmhouse cheddar as it seemed like a good start, easy and short aging. I also built a cheese press using weights.  We followed every step exactly and put our finished and waxed product into a wine fridge set at 55 degree fahrenheit. It is now a month old and over the last week is smelling, well, very cheesy.  But more like bad cheese.  Any advice.  Is it bad?  Is it ready? Any thoughts would be helpful.  Thanks.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: First Time Cheese Maker and Cheese Smells after a month of aging
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:49:04 PM »
Welcome!

A couple of questions - you mention that you waxed the cheese. How long did you let it dry before waxing? And is the smell on the outside of the wax, or have you opened it?

My first thought is that you may have waxed it too soon, so that there is whey trapped in the wax. This can create a rather sour smell, but if you remove the wax and let the cheese dry in the "cave" (wine fridge) for a few days, you may not have any long-term issues. You can re-wax it after it is thoroughly dry. Another alternative that many of us like is using a vacuum food sealer - similar effect to wax, but it lets you see if any problems are developing.

If it is more of a moldy smell, you may have some breaks in the wax that have allowed mold to get in. If it is more of a stinky feet smell, that would suggest the presence of B. linens, the bacteria used to make "stinky" cheese (such as limburger).

If you can, post a picture or three - this will give us more to work with. But meanwhile, don't be discouraged - we all have experienced some failures along the way, but the end result is well worth the patience and the learning curve!
-- Andy

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: First Time Cheese Maker and Cheese Smells after a month of aging
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 10:52:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum Stav.
I'm surprised that your cheese would smell once waxed. The first thing which I would do is check for leaks in the wax. If it is leaking, you may have to unwax the cheese and re-wax it.
Given that you only made the cheese one month ago, my guess is that you waxed it too early. A cheese needs to be left for 3-4 weeks to dry out thoroughly before waxing, otherwise you can trap whey in with the cheese. If you do unwax it and let it dry, it may well come good.
If you do have problems it would be helpful to share details of your make on the forum, together with photographs.
- Andrew