Author Topic: How to measure pH of curds  (Read 3108 times)

sunnyraghav

How to measure pH of curds
« on: August 05, 2017, 05:16:05 AM »
Hi members,
How does one check pH of curds to determine when to stretch?
I have strips that I can press against the curds. The disadvantage here is that this just gives me a range of values, and so is not accurate.

I also have a pen type pH meter, but do not have enough whey coming off the curds to dunk it in.

Please help!

Thanks

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: How to measure pH of curds
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 06:49:09 AM »
I do not think strips will be accurate enough for testing when to stretch ,  the meter should be good enough if poked  into the curd .  It should start to stretch at 5.4 if my memory serves me correctly .

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 06:45:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum! What part of India are you from? I have only visited in the south (Kerala), but would like to see more of the country - and sample more of the food!

There are two options for determining the pH for stretching mozzarella (assuming that is the kind of cheese you mean). One is to use a pH meter than can read curds - something that can press into or onto the curds. The other is the old-fashioned way, by checking a little bit of curd periodically to see if it will stretch when heated. With experience, you can begin to know that it is getting into the range by the taste and smell, but first you have to find the right range.

Note that mozzarella is one of the hardest cheeses for most of us to make with consistent success. Some on this forum have mastered it, but most of us have had as many failures as successes.
-- Andy

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
    • Rainy Day Cheese Making
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 03:22:47 PM »
Just jumping in here since I had the same question in mind. I'll be placing my order this evening and wondering from you pro-cheese people, is this the type of PH meter that would be suitable for Mozzarella PH testing?

PS: Not promoting this brand, I just want to show the style of meter I plan to buy!!

Offline gathwaegl

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 08:36:51 PM »
@Rain Frances

This is the kind I have. It has a spear so I can test inside the curd or cheese mass. The one you linked might only be good for checking the pH of the whey
@justifiedgaines

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 09:05:30 PM »
Thanks Justifiedgaines...I was looking for one with a spear but didn't find one in my price range, boo hoo :) , you have a nice one!

Offline gathwaegl

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 09:07:00 PM »
Indeed they are pricey.

I had been saving up for a while to upgrade my whole setup so I made sure to save up enough to purchase it. But yeah. Expensive.
@justifiedgaines

Offline FooKayaks2

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 09:09:57 PM »
Hi Rain,

If you buy the meter you linked you will need to push the curd onto the tip, which is not ideal.

The meter justifiedgaines linked will work well as it has a spear tip. Make sure if you buy this one you get the S version with a spear tip.

If money was no object I would buy the Hannah Halo Speer tip Bluetooth meter,it connects via Bluetooth to a tablet or phone.

You will also need pH standards, when you buy ask if it has a 2 or 3 point calibration and what standards you will need. If the supplier tells you it has a single point calibration it is a piece of rubbish and don't buy it.

Mathew

Offline FooKayaks2

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 09:19:05 PM »
Hi rain,

If the original pH meter you linked is in your price range. Go for it. You will need to push some curd onto the electrode it will work, just not as easily as the spear tip.

Make sure you store the probe so the electrode is in storage solution if they give it to you, or pH 7 buffer.

Mattew

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 01:58:37 PM »
Don't mean to hijack this thread but how do you clean the tip of a pH meter when you push it into curds. With liquid solutions I don't see any problem in ensuring the tip is absolutely clean, but with curds how do you ensure that it is spotlessly clean so that it can be appropriately calibrated? Thanks

Offline gathwaegl

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 03:24:19 PM »
I hand wash it well with soap and hot water before and after use. I'll also give it a good spray with some vinegar before I rinse it to calibrate it. I make sure to use very clean water (store bought) when I rinse it between calibrations and measurements. I've never had problems with curd sticking to it or causing problems.
@justifiedgaines

Offline FooKayaks2

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 07:20:19 PM »
Bernardsmith, use an old toothbrush to remove any solids running under warm water. Then follow justifiedgaines suggestions of hot water and vinegar.

Justifiedgaines you could just put the probe into a glass of vinegar to clean the probe tip.

One of our probe suppliers at work recommends using neat Hydrochcloric Acid to clean probes before calibration when they are becoming hard to calibrate. I use a 1:10 dilution for day to day cleaning. Neat vinegar should work reasonably well too.

Mathew

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 07:51:55 PM »
Thanks Matthew :)  I kind of have to work with the budget, so I'm going to try the "pocket" ph meter for what it's worth because I read a successful review on the New England Cheese Making site. You could very well be right and I could very well be wasting some money, but I will report what happens. I still want to save up for the one with the spear though, I can see that one being a great gift for my cheese making efforts!!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 02:47:29 AM »
To clean your meter on the cheap get contact lens cleaner solution that states on the label  that  it is for cleaning proteins .

10 to 15 minute soak

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 07:55:18 PM »
I like that Gregore, anything where I can be frugal helps the cheese making budget!!