Author Topic: Montasio Cheese  (Read 4314 times)

LadyLiberty

Montasio Cheese
« on: July 02, 2009, 07:52:01 AM »
Hey there folks!  Hope everyone is well!

I just realized we are going to Italy and we starting in a place called Tolmezzo, that's in Northern Italy, in the north east corner of Italy near Austria.  I also found out it's the origination of both proscuitto and montasio.

Anyone have experience with montasio?

I would like to visit a factory that makes it.... factory is the wrong word.  It's apparently a cow cheese.  They are right there in Tolmezzo.  I hope.  I'll try it.

Take care! Any info is good.

FRANCOIS

Re: Montasio Cheese
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 10:15:48 AM »
You are a very lucky lady.  In Brixen there is a restaurant called "the elephant".  I strongly recomend it.  It will be the best meal you ever eat.  I could fill abook with the history of the place, suffice to say it is very historic and they specialize in local cuisine.  You can gurantee that everything on the menu from the pasta to the meat and vegetables has been grown locally and processed by the restaurant.  They even own an old nazi bunker in the alps where they age cheese and wine.  It is a must, must see.  Be sure to call ahead as the UN frequently books the whole place for diplomat dinners.

The last vacation to Europe I booked to visit this restaurant and the spa in Freiburg Germany, they are both that good.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 03:43:47 PM »
Welcome back Lady Liberty!

My family and I just got back from 2 weeks holiday in Italy on Sunday night (big holiday before daughters too old). We did Rome > Tuscany > Pisa > Cinque Terra on NW Coast, Venice on NE Coast > Dolomite Mountains, into Austria for 1/2 day> down to Rimini and San Marino > Rome.

Tolmezzo is just east of East of where we stayed, Cortina, in Dolomite Mountains. Wonderful area, very very dramatic mountains, wonderful area to go hiking, we actually walked through mountain meadow where head bells and then found cows each with a bell and a herder's hut, just like Sound Of Music movie.

Anyway, in that area we didn't see any cheesemaking, going too fast and rest of family wasn't interested. When you get there, the local Tourist Info office should be able to get you info.

Have fun! Don't forget nearby Venice!

LadyLiberty

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 09:35:16 AM »
Oh we will be hitting Venice.  It's only three days but one day will be Venice, another day wine tasting, and one day I'll be in Tolmezzo while Tom has to do the corporate thing, so I thought I would hit some local stores and maybe find a dairy or something that is making cheese.  really short stay, but you can't really manipulate these things when it's all expenses paid.  And ya it's beautiful.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 09:56:16 AM »
If I got lucky enough to talk to a cheesemaker there, what questions should I ask?  I thought about "What kind of bacteria do you use", "What temperature do you bring it to?" "How long do you keep it at that temperature".  It may be that the yeast or bacteria  in the area brings on the Montasio, so they may not even have an answer.  I know how long to age it, so that's not an issue, an OLD cheese is 10 months old, a young on is two. 

I'm working on translating this into Italian. :)

If I get a recipe, I will share.  It may be impossible though as these recipes are regulated.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 06:31:56 PM »
Lady, looks like a beautiful place!

If you get a chance the windy very mountainous small village road between Pieve d'Cadore and Cortina d/Ampezzo anout 50 miles West of Tolmezzo in NE Italy is gorgeous, few snaps attached (including handsome one of me):

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
Second set of Italian Dolmite Mountain photos . . .

Tea

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 02:35:19 PM »
Oh wow your pair, and half your luck.  John it looks like your went to some beautiful places.
'
LL maybe if you ask quesitons they might clam up abd not say too much.  Anyway hope you have a wonderful holiday. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 03:23:13 AM »
You might want to find a book store for a book on:

fabbricazione del formaggio!

Come produrre formaggio

Fabbricazione del formaggio tradizionale!