Author Topic: rennet substitution advice please  (Read 1544 times)

tashad

rennet substitution advice please
« on: August 08, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »
I am visiting at my mom's house, and she has made arrangements for some fresh goat milk for me while I'm here.  We planned for this, and I brought supplies and equipment for making a couple of cheeses.  lol, I even brought my smallest wine cooler so we'd have a cave.  But I forgot the rennet.  My mom has a few mad millie rennet tablets in the freezer.  Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to use them for a semi-lactic cheese that would only use a drop or two of liquid rennet?  I assume that I would dissolve it in water and then use that, but I have no clue as to the tablet:water ratio, and then how much of that to use for a gallon of goat milk.  Any thoughts, or suggestions?

tashad

Re: rennet substitution advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 03:03:06 AM »
I just now realized that I put this in the wrong section when I came to update it.  In the end I didn't end up using the rennet tablets.  The person that I was getting the milk from gave me a bit of calf rennet and I used that.  This was my first time using milk that didn't come from the supermarket, and my first time using goat milk.  Never have I had such glorious curds!  I was blown away by how that milk behaved.  I want to work with milk like that all the time.  Lol, I can't, but I can dream about befriending people with goats and cows that need someone to 'dispose' of milk for them.

5ittingduck

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 10:00:05 AM »
Welcome to raw milk cheeses, once you have made them, you will never want to go back!
:)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:58:02 PM »
Amen!
-- Andy

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
    • Rainy Day Cheese Making
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »
Hi Tashad :) LUCKY YOU!!! Gosh I hope I can find someone in the future who has raw milk to give away! Either that or I'll be raising goats when I buy a property.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 03:01:04 AM »
Mooo!