Author Topic: Help with cheese style identification  (Read 2193 times)

blucrsr

Help with cheese style identification
« on: August 09, 2017, 02:49:17 PM »
I have recently tasted a cheese from Emmi and was wondering if someone could point me to the correct style this cheese is developed from.  The packaging says Emmi Kaltbach Le Cremeux.  Cave-Aged and Semisoft Cheese are the other 2 things listed on the label.  I'm guessing this is a Swiss cheese, but it is also a lot softer than any other ones I've had before.  I am very new to the world of delicious cheese.  I would love to be able to start making something similar.  Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

blucrsr

Re: Help with cheese style identification
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 07:31:25 PM »
Just bumping this one time to see if anyone can help.  Thanks!

panamamike

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 11:29:30 PM »
I'm not for sure exactly what it is , but maybe this will help someone else to figure it out.
Made in 9 lb wheels, Kaltbach Le Crémeux is a washed-rind cheese that is sweet and unassuming at first, but keeps you coming back for another bite as the flavor and texture develops and becomes reminiscent of a soft cooked egg yolk in a bowl of ramen. It is a semi-firm cheese that’s crafted with pasteurized milk and microbial rennet and aged a minimum of 120 days in the Kaltbach caves in the Alpine Valley near Lucerne, Switzerland. The RH in the cave is 96%. Fat is 34%. Enriched with cream, Without lactose. Firm, hard uncooked cheese.

blucrsr

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 01:29:29 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  I also found the following review...

As soon as the monger started telling me about Le Crémeux I was excited, I love mountain cheeses, they're my cheese happy place. The cheese looks like a typical hard mountain cheese with a yellowish paste. As it turns out, Le Crémeux was softer then I was expecting; it has a light, smooth texture that melts like butter when you bite into it. It was really quite lovely and smooth. The flavour was medium-mild, uncomplicated, and didn't linger on the palate. It had an overall brothiness with hints of mushrooms and butter. And I really enjoyed it. It was easy eating without being boring or bland.

AnnDee

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 10:33:47 PM »
Maybe it is like Reblochon but made with pasteurised milk in bigger wheel?