Author Topic: Belated hello from Richmond, VA, USA  (Read 623 times)

Offline lrunyenj

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
    • Laura Runyen-Janecky's web site
Belated hello from Richmond, VA, USA
« on: August 09, 2017, 05:01:17 PM »
Hello fellow cheese makers,

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a but recently started posting, so I figure it is time to introduce myself.  I am a microbiologist at the University of Richmond with a love of cheese (probably from my grad school days in Madison, Wisconsin).  I've recently become enamored with the idea of combining my interest in cheese (and other fermented dairy) with my professional life an a teacher-scholar.  Thus, I am starting to study dairy microbiology theory and testing my abilities to make some cheeses.  I eventually hope to transfer the cheese and dairy  knowledge I an accumulating    into the classroom and teaching lab and then eventually into my own research lab (which currently focuses on microbial symbionts of the tsetse fly).   

Laura

PS  Many thanks to the folks that maintain this forum and the expert cheese makers who generously respond to all the questions from new cheeses like me.  I have found it very useful already. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:45:33 PM by lrunyenj »

Jay-1

Re: Belated hello from Richmond, VA, USA
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 06:42:11 PM »
 Hello Laura,  Sounds like your going to have a ball making cheese, Welcome to the forum.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »
Welcome aboard Laura.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 06:45:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Laura! I am a university professor a few hours south of you, at Campbell University (between Raleigh and Fayetteville) - but not a microbiologist. Your insights will be very welcome! And pictures of both successes and failures are always good as well. :)
-- Andy