Author Topic: Raw Milk Cheddar  (Read 2087 times)

Offline gathwaegl

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
  • Default personal text
Raw Milk Cheddar
« on: August 13, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »
I've recently moved to Utah so I've been in the process of getting settled in; however, I am finally ready to make some cheese. I'm currently on an extended fast and will be off and on until later this year so I am planning on making some of my longer-aged cheeses first and then plan my shorter aged ones so I can crack them open when this cycle of fasting is done.

I decided to start with a cheddar, this one I hope to age for a couple of years. Nice thing about Utah, is that raw milk is legal here! So here's the start of my raw milk cheddar. I'm using Caldwell's English style cheddar recipe.

Here's the milk I used, local and raw and the farm has a buy 10 gallons get one free, I suspect I will be using that to my advantage.

I've upgraded a couple of things in my cheesemaking setup. I tried a sousvide temp control set up this time around. It was wonderful. Because I'm really short, I always had to stand on something to make my cheese while using a waterbath. This time around, no such problems. I also have a steamer pan on order that's flatter and fits into the large white bin. It'll be even lower so my next few cheeses should be in there.

I also saved up for a pH meter to use this time around. Made things much easier looking for a target pH than arbitrary times. If I didn't have my pH meter, I would have cheddared the curds for an extra half hour. So definitely a good investment here.

Turns out my current batch of rennet is quite strong, so I'm really glad I decided to use calculate the set time using flocculation. The aim time was supposed to be 45 mins, mine was ready in 28. Now I know how to adjust in the future.

Next thing on my list to save up for or make would be a horizontal curd cutter. I'm not good at making them; but I'm doing alright for now.

I started making this guy at like 6pm, so eventually I tapered off from taking pictures but I finally got this in for the final pressing around midnight. Once I take it out of the press and look at the knit, I'll put up a picture of it. I'm planning on just waxing this guy. I don't have consistent humidity control in my fridge.
@justifiedgaines

Offline gathwaegl

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Raw Milk Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 03:03:11 AM »
Finally got this guy outta the press and the knit looks pretty good

I'll dry it for a few days then if my wax doesn't come in the mail, I'll vacuum seal it.

@justifiedgaines

Duntov

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:04:30 AM »
That cheese looks really nice and I am sure it will age fantastic.  Raw milk does make a difference and you will enjoy the taste of your cheeses.  AC4U!

Offline gathwaegl

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 05:53:43 PM »
Today is cheese opening day for me! Here's the cheddar, aged 22ish months. It tastes amazing, but i'm going to let them air out a bit before bagging them up again to distribute as gifts! This cheese was made in the same batch as the one I posted before but I didn't take pictures of the other one that I opened last year.

Out of the bag

I really need to sharpen my knives, but the inside looks good!

A hunk for me.

@justifiedgaines

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 10:29:35 PM »
Wow!  Looks amazing...  AC4U!  22 month wait  :o

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 12:19:31 AM »
Justified--Very nice reporting and pictures!  AC4U for the cheese and the 22 month long patience!  I'd like to hear more about how it tastes (other than amazing!)...for example, does it taste like a "typical" sharp cheddar, or is it creamier or ???  I'm assuming you used the MA4000 series recommended in Caldwell's recipe or maybe something different?

I've never tasted a homemade cheddar, and hope to make my first one this fall, so am particularly curious about the outcome of your cheese.  --Susan38

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 01:14:20 AM »
What a great documentation!! And a great looking cheese!
Congratulations!!
Susan

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 09:21:43 PM »
Beautiful! Another C4U.
-- Andy