Author Topic: Hot Gouda  (Read 689 times)

5ittingduck

Hot Gouda
« on: August 15, 2017, 01:30:11 AM »
Raw milk Gouda (Vinnie, Holstein cross) made 2/5/2017 designed to give visual impact and heat sear taste buds.
The two colours are Sriracha (Hot chilli and Garlic, the "Hot" heat side) which is also coloured with Annatto, and Native Pepper and fine ground Mustard (the "Cool" heat side).
Visually, the cheese worked perfectly, and it is more than sufficiently outrageous.
The paste of the cheese has shown a little bit of a reaction to being hit with so many additives, and has a slightly crumbly texture like a cheddar rather than a Gouda.  It holds together fine despite this.
The Sriracha side had a whole bottle of "HOT" Sriracha sauce added to the milk.  It is exactly the right heat for me, just below the point you reach for a cooling drink.  The garlic in the sauce adds a lovely savoury aroma to the cheese.  I will be making more cheese like this soon.
The "Cool" hot side didn't work quite as well, but is nearly as good.  The Tasmanian Native pepper I used was ground, but I didn't take it far enough, and as I used heaps of it (2 heaped Tablespoons, the same of fine ground mustard powder) it has a slightly gritty texture.  The flavour is great though, a good counterpoint to the warmth of the other side.
Overall, this worked pretty well.  It's very visual, has a huge taste impact, but isn't very subtle.  Well, OK, it's not even a little bit subtle.
I'll pull this out when I get someone who reckons he's seen everything at a cheese tasting.