Author Topic: cultures for mozzarella  (Read 4105 times)

nettie

cultures for mozzarella
« on: August 16, 2017, 04:37:20 AM »
Hello I am trying to use CR Hansens yoflex slb 2.0 to make mozzarella. this has been given to me by he local agent here in Sri Lanka.  Is this ok or does anyone suggest another culture.

Thanks

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: cultures for mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 06:12:22 PM »
Nettie, I am not familiar with that specific variety, but the name sounds like it might be intended to make yogurt? If so, it will work for mozarella - both yogurt and mozzarella use thermophilic bacteria. As another post today discusses, mozzarella can be very finicky to get right - let us know how it goes for you!
-- Andy

AnnDee

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 11:09:51 AM »
I use hansen STI 12, it work well. Do you have to convert the yoflex into starter culture/yoghurt first to get it to work better?

nettie

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 03:43:50 AM »
it is a direct set culture so no need

AnnDee

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 10:54:17 AM »
We have Hansen here too and we use yoflex culture to make yoghurt and dairy fermented drinks, the Hansen rep here suggested STI12 for mozzarella and it has worked nicely for me. If the yoflex does not produce good enough mozzarella when used dry, maybe try to convert it into yoghurt first.

nettie

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 07:52:56 AM »
Thanks for the advice Ann I am getting some STI 12 today and hopefully it will be a success.  By the way what mozzarella recipe are you using I am using the one in the Ricki Carrol book. Also I am looking for a good youhurt or probiotic drink recipe if you are able to guide me. I have an icubator I am dying to use.

Cheers

Annette

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 03:20:39 PM »
Nettie, for yogurt, here is my approach:

• 1 gallon of whole milk + 1 pint (or more) of heavy cream - you can make a lower-fat yogurt, but the less fat, the less thick and creamy it will be
  • Yogurt to use as starter - can be some from a previous batch, but periodically you will find it helpful to "reseed" using high-quality store bought yogurt, one without any flavorings or fillers. (My favorite by far is Fage Greek yogurt, regular, not non-fat; other brands work as well, but may produce a somewhat sharper flavor) - you will only use 1/4 cup or so, so you can use a single container to make more than one batch - or just eat the remainder. :)

• Heat milk to 180°F (82°C) and hold it there for 30 minutes, stirring gently but constantly. (This will denature the whey proteins so that they can bond into the yogurt, giving a thicker result.)
  • Cool the milk to 110°F (43°C) - I put the pot into a sink of cold water, stirring and checking the temperature frequently
  • Take 1/4 cup of yogurt (store-bought, or some from the previous batch) and mix it with 1 cup or so of the warm milk; pour the mixture into the rest of the milk and stir well
  • Incubate for 8-12 hours at 110-120°F (43-49°C). Do not shake, stir, or disturb while it is incubating
  • EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: Disturbing as little as possible, move to the fridge and cool thoroughly. Do NOT stir or disturb it until it is well chilled - I don't know why, but it greatly reduces the thickness of the outcome if you stir it while it is still warm
  • Once chilled, you can eat it as is, or you can strain it through cheese cloth to get a thicker (Greek yogurt) result.
-- Andy

AnnDee

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 06:00:30 PM »
Hi Annete,
My recipe is quite simple now and the process can be adjusted to when I will need the cheese. Warm the milk to 35C then I use 2 tsp STI12 for 20L of milk. Ripen 45 minutes. Then rennet (I use powder one). Flocc multiplier 3. Usually clean break after 50-60 minutes. Then cut curd then heat to 42C while stirring (in around 30 minutes). When target temp reached, turn off heat and stir again for 30 minutes. Drain the curd then keep in tupperware type boxes with a little whey and ripen more until target PH is reached. If you keep it in warm place, it will speed up the PH drop but many time I stick it in the cheese chiller for the whole night.

You can also convert the culture into starter culture first and it really speed up the cheese making process.

nettie

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 01:35:50 AM »
Thanks so much Ann and Andy will give these a go looks like new culture is a winner grill it on some toast this morning and a lovely stretch will try a pizza tonight.
Cheers
Annette

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 05:30:08 PM »
Excellent!
-- Andy

AnnDee

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 01:55:21 AM »
Thanks so much Ann and Andy will give these a go looks like new culture is a winner grill it on some toast this morning and a lovely stretch will try a pizza tonight.
Cheers
Annette

Yay! I am so happy for you.

Alcofermbrew

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
OMG i love mozzarella. Do You use some special equipment for making one ?