Author Topic: Hello from Cerro Cabuya, Panama  (Read 588 times)

panamamike

Hello from Cerro Cabuya, Panama
« on: August 21, 2017, 01:10:03 AM »
Just wanted to introduce myself. My Name is Mike and live in Panama. Moved here from the U.S.  five years ago.  I live in the country surrounded by Brown Swiss and Jersey cows and have access to fresh milk anytime I need it. No good cheese around this area so I guess I will have to make some myself.
I have the opportunity to sell cheese at two gringo markets one in Volcan Baru and the other in Boquette. There are many people from the US , Canada, England and Germany living in these towns.

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
    • Rainy Day Cheese Making
Re: Hello from Cerro Cabuya, Panama
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 12:32:26 PM »
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum :) I personally just joined and got some great advice. You're lucky to have access to good milk!! What kind of cheeses will you be making?
Rain

mobius

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »
Hey Mike and welcome! ;D

Rain nice to see you here always ;D

Sounds idyllic where you live, Mike, I hear a lot of folks retire there in Panama but I didn't know there were cows. I suppose you have chickens around too?

I am new to the cheesemaking game and learning a lot!

panamamike

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:14:17 PM »
Hi Rain and mobiles

Yes lots of chickens in my yard but they belong to the neighbors .

Rain I have no idea what cheeses to make for those areas. Most of the people there are very wealthy. A lot of houses in the excess of 350,000.00 dollars.

If anyone has any clue to what I should make , it would be greatly appreciated if you would give suggestions .

Thanks for the welcomes !

mobius

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 07:42:20 PM »
Off the top of my head, how about some brie and camembert? And herbed feta? starting simply a bit I think...

Then if you know the nationality, that could direct you to say German cheeses, or English cheeses...

After that i would do some exotic stuff that no one has heard of! Except the folks on this forum....

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 01:39:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
-- Andy