Author Topic: Recipe help please  (Read 1206 times)

TraditionalGoats

Recipe help please
« on: August 22, 2017, 03:11:48 PM »
Not sure where to post this and I hope it is allowed. 

Needs suggestions (and possibly recipes). My son is heading back to school soon and wants to make cheeses that go with each country they are studying. They are looking at a different country each week, seems to be starting with Ireland, England, then up to Iceland, Greenland, Norway, Sweden, Poland, Germany, etc. They plan on hitting all the EU countries and Russia as well as the popular countries in our news. Asia is toward the end of the school year, I am not sure when Africa or South America are on the schedule.

Anyway, I need ideas for cheeses. I have Quark for Germany, Tvorog for Russia, Cheddar (and so many others) for England, France is pretty easy too with all their goat varieties. But the rest I am pretty lost when it comes to the smaller European countries and there has to be more available in Russia too than Tvorog. lol I know some are regionally protected and finding recipes is nearly impossible.

I have cow and goat milk, presses and cheese caves. Doing fresh or aged cheeses are possible. I even have a smoker but have not used it yet.

Ideas?  I am striking out with anything from Ireland.  What I am finding is mainly current cheeses marketed by farms and of course no recipes for those--which I fully understand.  I was hoping to find older and traditional recipes from each country.  This may be more of a difficult task than I thought it would be. 

Offline gathwaegl

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
  • Default personal text
Re: Recipe help please
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 03:35:20 PM »
https://cheese.com/by_country

Maybe that'll help a bit. I dont think that website gives recipes, but a recipe is easier to find with a name.
@justifiedgaines

artmustel

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 05:41:17 PM »
Really? Europe?

GOUDA  ;)

TraditionalGoats

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 05:58:47 PM »
Really? Europe?

GOUDA  ;)

Yes, the problem I am running into is finding from different countries.  I have Gouda marked down but that is not a cheese from Ireland, Scotland, Iceland, Greenland, Sweden, etc.  Norway I have covered, same with Switzerland, Germany, France, Holland, Spain, Italy, England, Uruguay (when we get there), Greece, Bulgaria, India, Cyprus, and Lybia (although we will do a sheeps milk cheese for that). 

UpMyKilt

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:52:42 AM »
Hmmm... Irish Cheese - we always had cheddar on hand in Ireland (North and South). 

It's a new cheese (wouldn't call it traditional), but if you can find out how to make it, I'd love to know - Dubliner Cheese. It's lovely!

There are also a variety of "farmhouse" types of cheeses in Ireland.

https://lovin.ie/travel-food/these-are-the-15-irish-cheeses-everyone-needs-in-their-life

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:03:20 PM »
Hey TG,

Scotland:   Bonchester, Caboc, Crowdie Dunlop, Isle of Mull Cheddar, Lanark Blue
Wales: Caerphilly Pantysgawn, Tintern, Y Fenni
Northern Ireland: Coleraine Cheddar, Guiness Cheddar
Greenland: as far as I know doesn't have a native milk herd other than reindeer... use a Danish cheese instead.
Iceland: Skyr

+1 on the cheese.com "sort by country idea"...