Author Topic: Hello From New Zealand  (Read 3178 times)

PeterNZ

Hello From New Zealand
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:23:32 PM »
Just want to say Hello. My name is Peter and I live in New Zealand (North Island). Initially me and my wife are from Germany but we moved to New Zealand in the beginning of 2000. We evolved from city people back in Germany eventually to farm people in New Zealand. We own 11 acres of land and farm sheep (of course!) and Saanen X Goats.

We started making goats cheese some years ago and it was really difficult to get all the equipment and ingredients. A lot of our friends asked where they can but all the things they need so eventually I got the idea to start a business. Don't worry I won't make any advertising here I guess it might be against the rules. I started the business in April this year (2009) and it took off like a rocket. I met so many nice people, had numerous interesting phone conversations and it is a lot of fun. And I even make a little money.

I can't really remember how I came across this forum but it helped me already with all these dreaded measurement units for cultures. I knew about "U" with the Chr. Hansen cultures but then the "DCU" popped up. Now I know that it is "Danisco Culture Unit" so every manufacturer seems to come up with their own unit! Nice!

Anyway, I am looking forward to meeting some of you online over the time. If you need anything and you are in New Zealand, drop me a line (Was that now advertising?  ;) ).

Cheers

Peter

wharris

Re: Hello From New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 01:15:25 AM »
Welcome to the forum Peter!

PeterNZ

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 01:28:18 AM »
Thanks Wayne. "Wine and Cheesemaker", eh? I think I need to change my title to "Winemaker, Brewer and Cheesemaker" then. What Wines do you make? I make mainly fruit wines. Made a nice Strawberry this year. When you opened a bottle the whole room was smelling like Strawberry Fields Forever! But my main passion is brewing beer the proper way.

Sorry I digress.

Cheers

Peter

wharris

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 01:49:12 AM »
I have long insisted that I am a winemaker first, a cheesemaker in the off-season.

I do not make fruit wines, I get my Cabernet Sauvignon grapes trucked in from from California, and I pick my Chancellor grapes locally in Erie Pennsylvania.  I've thought about some strawberry wine, but the last 3 years the strawberry seasons here have really been pathetic.

As, a matter of fact, I am enjoying a 2007 Chancellor tonight.

I've never really brewed beer.  Did once, but not sure I count that as I did not have a clue as to what I was doing. Probably just as well.  Winemaking and cheesemaking has me all consumed. 

I think i have enough hobbies as it stands.

What made you move to NZ?

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 02:58:13 AM »
Howdy Peter in NZ, welcome to the forum, few other Kiwi's here but I'm in Houston.

I'll also webmaster and yes advertising is sort of not the intent of this forum so I made a Sale/Wanted Board, please feel free to post an "advert" there for your business. Also, if you have a website or mailing address/phone # I'd add it to our list of suppliers :)!

Looking forward to your advice on Cheese Making and again welcome!

PeterNZ

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 03:01:26 AM »
What made you move to NZ?

There is only one answer: Germany!  :D

We wanted to get out of the rat race. Out of this competitive culture where you need to have a bigger flat screen, a bigger house, a bigger car, throw bigger parties than your neighbour/friends/workmates etc. Where you allowed to go to the best restaurants and not having to wear a tie and a dinner jacket. Where people are more important than numbers. Where not everything is regulated. You get the picture?

One example: If you want to brew a beer in Germany as a homebrewer you need to fill out a form and announce to the Customs department what you are planning to brew. Then after you brewed your beer, you fill out another form and send it to the Customs Dept and tell them how much alcohol you produced. You have a certain volume of Alcohol free and then you need to pay alcohol tax. I use this story here as a party joke. Guarantees a laugh!

Anyway, we found our life here and are happy as can be. We could afford to buy some land (German friends asked us if we won the lottery) and we will never go back.

Cheers

Peter

PeterNZ

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 03:05:59 AM »
Howdy Peter in NZ, welcome to the forum, few other Kiwi's here but I'm in Houston.

I'll also webmaster and yes advertising is sort of not the intent of this forum so I made a Sale/Wanted Board, please feel free to post an "advert" there for your business. Also, if you have a website or mailing address/phone # I'd add it to our list of suppliers :)!

Looking forward to your advice on Cheese Making and again welcome!

Thanks John, yes I have seen lots of posts from you! Cool. My main job is in IT (Working for a big IT comp located in Plano ;) ) so I know a bit about etiquette in forums. I am not here to do advertising but I like the idea of putting a link into your list. I will also add a link on my website to your site! It is a great forum and I would like to recommend it to my customers. I guess I PM or email you the link.

Thanks

Peter

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 02:01:47 PM »
Thanks Peter, you have a great website, I've linked you in our suppliers page, looking forward to your advice . . . John.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 02:55:51 AM »
Welcome aboard Peter!