Author Topic: Commercial Cheese VAT  (Read 1714 times)

Billytoon

Commercial Cheese VAT
« on: August 23, 2017, 08:03:33 AM »
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and am happy to find so much information  :)

I am looking to fabricate a 500 litre cheese vat using an existing stainless tank I have (my Brother is a Welder). I know that I want to heat this with hot water or steam but have not been able to find any plans as to how the heating actually works?

Does anyone have any plans or knowledge of this?

Many Thanks

Offline FooKayaks2

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Re: Commercial Cheese VAT
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »
Hi Billy,

You will need to jacket the vat, so you can either introduce steam or hot water into the jacket which will then transfer heat to the inside of the cheese Vat. You will need to insulate the outside of the jacket to minimise heat loss to atmosphere. It would be worth researching the best form of jacket for heat transfer.

You can set up a closed loop with recirculating hot water to control the temperature of the Vat.

Some Vats even have a water jacket with built in electric heating elements that heat the jacket.

I am not really sure how temperature is controlled with a steam boiler. However if you are making the jacket yourself I would advise against it unless your brother is able to pressure test the jacket. Steam burns are very nasty if something goes wrong.

Good luck. What ever you decide on doing you should document your build and solution on the forum to help the next person who has the same issue. I am very curious to see how you build your vat.

Mathew

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 01:49:07 PM »
If you use steam, I would be concerned about scalding the milk next to the sides of the tank - unless you are stirring constantly, which may mean building a stirring mechanism as well.
-- Andy

Cheese Kettle Pty Ltd

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 05:17:54 AM »
Hi guys,

It's bit old topic but I thought I will put my ten cents.

Steam (as awakephd) sad may cause off flavours due to extesive heat.

Best option for small cheesemakers are electric heatign elements.
it's reliable, may be connected almost *anywhere and it's very accurate temperature control.

Anyway I hope your project is now well made and you enjoy your own made cheeses
all the best
Lukasz