Author Topic: Ph stagnating  (Read 1532 times)

Choubix

Ph stagnating
« on: September 02, 2017, 11:56:01 AM »
Hi,

I tried my hand at making Mozz again.
my ph is now stuck at 6 since yesterday...

Either my "El cheapo" digital ph reader is gone or there is a problem somewhere else...
I used a meso culture starter and kept the temp at 32c until ph dropped by 0.2 then I used lipase and rennet.
cut the curds, healed, drained etc...

I really don't know what else I could do apart form waiting...
I noticed my whey doesnt make any ricotta when reheated with an acid also.

Any idea?

Thank you!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Ph stagnating
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 03:39:04 PM »
Choubix, it definitely seems like something odd is going on if you can't get ricotta out of the whey. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions to offer, but will be interested to see what other seasoned cheesemakers have to say ...
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 05:32:38 AM »
Do you have calibration fluid?   Test meter

Assuming that you do not , try it in vinager , ph should be between 2 and 3 , not really calibrating but it will let you know if the ph meter is in the ball park or even working .

If it is off you will need to buy at least the 7.01 solution , if it is way off get cleaner too or contact lens cleaner for proteins.  As it is possible that the contact is plugged up with milk proteins

Choubix

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 05:44:24 AM »
Hi Gregore, thank you for your message.

I actually thought my ph meter was not working g properly and dipped it into white (synthetic) vinegar yesterday.
it read 3.3 (which je though was a bit high).

I suppose I should save up for a better reader (spear type) as these China made ones dont seem too good... :(

Offline FooKayaks2

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 10:42:23 AM »
Hi Choubix,

When you calibrate your pH meter you will need to do at let a 2 point calibration.

7 buffer will adjust the zero point, the second buffer adjusts the slope of the pH curve. You need to do at least a 2 point calibration to have an accurate pH measurement. I would get a 4 buffer.

You need to clean your pH meter after each cheese making session and calibrate at the start of each new cheese making session.

Mathew

Choubix

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »
At each session?
I was thinking the meter once calibrated was good to go for a while  :-[

I guess I am way off mark then...

Hmm. Not sure what I will so with the curd that is still sitting in the counter top.

Thanks!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 02:38:12 PM »
Calibrating each session is the best way ... but I confess that I do not do that. I calibrate on a strict scientific schedule known as "every so often." :) Generally I find that the meter (I use an Extech) has drifted a little but not too much.
-- Andy

Choubix

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 05:39:52 PM »
I just ordered a Spear type ph meter (aspera) at a good price.
Hopefully it works with liquids too and not just curds.

Let's see if both ph readers agree when I use them next time!

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
    • Rainy Day Cheese Making
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 08:57:15 PM »
Hi Choubix!
I hope your new meter works out! I have a "pocket" PH meter that came calibrated and I guess I was lucky that it actually was. I had success with my first Mozzarella a few weeks back but it took 22 hours to hit the right PH.

Btw, I'm no expert, but I read that you can't use whey from any milk other than raw if you want to make a nice ricotta. Not sure if that's a fact or not, maybe it's the milk?

Rain

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »
You can use whey from any milk to make ricotta , but some cheese styles will leave very little curd left in the milk.

Good meters will hold calibrating longer than cheap ones in general ,  my Hanna can be off .02 after a month or so .....hardly worth worring about , my last meter would clog as I used it during the make a start to give wildly inaccurate readings .

If cost is a concern you can buy little sealed  foil packets of calibration fluid on line , cut the top corner off  , pour a little in a bottle cap or some other small container ( this fluid can not be put back into packet ) so the smaller  the container the better . This will be good for the whole make session.   Fold top over  on foil pack and seal with clip , I stored mine in fridge  back when I used them.

Ph cleaner is also important ..... not sure if it comes in foil packets or not.

Choubix

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »
I ordered an apera ph60S off ebay.

I hope it reaches me fast enough that u can stop buying milk to feed the birds with curds ;)

Ph is now 5.7 after something like 3 days...

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 03:56:32 AM »
Not possible for the ph to be at 5.7 after 3 days . Certainly something wrong with that meter .

Did you get ph calibration solutions also?

even the best meters can be off when they first arrive as you never know how long they sat on the shelf .

If it arrives with crystals on the probe then soak in 4 solution for 15 to 20 Minutes .