Author Topic: Recycling a botched attempt at mozzarella  (Read 1114 times)

Choubix

Recycling a botched attempt at mozzarella
« on: September 10, 2017, 11:57:34 AM »
Hi guys,

I tried to make mozzarella a while back but over acidified the milk. (hence, it doesn't melt..
I was wondering if I could make a decent spreadable cheese out of it by blitzing the (now quite dry) curds into evaporated milk with some gelatin (seriouseat has a post on that).

Do you think it is a waste of evaporated milk and I just toss the whole thing?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:56:29 AM by Choubix »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Recycling a botched attempt at mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 04:14:16 PM »
Hmm ... I don't know from personal experience, but let me try to offer an idea or two anyway. If I recall correctly, the pH of the cheese has an effect on how well the cheese will melt. Unfortunately, I don't recall exactly what the relationship is, e.g., if the pH goes too low.

When you say "blitzing," do you mean something like using a blender or food processor? I would expect that this would give you a grainy result, but it would probably taste fine. My first thought, though, would be to experiment with something like a fondue approach. As noted above, it might not work, depending on the pH, but I'd try with just a little of the cheese. Heat up some white wine or clear broth, and grate some of the cheese in to melt. If it doesn't want to incorporate smoothly, try tossing the grated cheese with a little bit of flour or cornstarch before adding to the wine or broth. If it still doesn't want to incorporate ... time for plan B.
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Recycling a botched attempt at mozzarella
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:59:54 AM »
I would be inclined to use the white wine as suggested ( a reasonably descent one )  as it will impart a lot of flavor to a mild cheese like mozza , and blend in a food processor.  It should make a nice cheese spread .

I do this with all those left over end bits of cheese that get pushed to the back of the fridge .