Author Topic: First attempt at Montasio/Friulano 6.2lbs + 2.5lbs Roasted Garlic Thyme Basil  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Anneliese

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Cheesemaker as my profession, but all to learn
Last weekend I got 36L of raw milk, and some cream,(about 4L) so I decided to make a version of friulano we make at work, but with less cream and a higher cook temp.

Using MM100 and TD, 50 minute ripening time at 36C

5ml rennet, 32 minute setting time.

Cut into 1/2inch curd over 3 cuts, with 10 minutes rest periods in between.

Cook the curd over 25 minutes, to 39C and then continued stirred for 15 minutes,

Take out out 20L of whey and replaced with 15L of 24C water, to achieve 32C.

Stirring for 20 minutes, then proceeding with draining, salting and hooping.

For the herb and garlic wheel, I mixed the garlic paste into the curd, and lined the cheesecloth(I used fabric cheesecloth in theory that the herbs would mesh to the cheese better.) with the herbs, pressed at 65lbs for 12 hours.

I pressed the 8lbs wheel for 32 hours to try and control the mechanical holes, but I will not know until I crack it open.

This is my largest wheel yet.

Plus a couple pics of the cultured butter (Probate 222) my SO shook up while I made the cheese

Enjoy, I would appreciate feedback!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 03:16:05 PM by Anneliese »
Young newbie cheesemaker working in an industrial cheesemaking factory.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
Re: First attempt at Montasio/Friulano
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 03:12:56 PM »
Hi Anneliese, thanks for sharing those nice pictures... a cheese for you.

I look forward to your results... how long do you mature your cheese and at what temp?
I use a food processor to make my butter... accurate start temperature is important and the processor needs good power to get the job done fast (2- 5 min) before the friction and motor heats up the cultured cream.

I may be a neighbor ... please check your private messages here :)

Offline Anneliese

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Cheesemaker as my profession, but all to learn
Thank you Fritz!

I dry salted them at 18C for 48 hours, and then transferred them to the wine fridge/cheese cave I have to age for 6 weeks. The garlic one will be sampled in 3 weeks at the 3 week stage, just in case the herbs go off or something.

I am on reddit's cheesemaking sub  if you're interested in seeking my earlier attempts.

I studied food science in college, and we learned that blades are not ideal for butter making, it splits the fat molecules and reduces yields, you really want a paddle type attachment to make butter. When I have a large quantity of cream, I use a stick spatula attached to an electric drill to churn in a 5 gallon pail.
Young newbie cheesemaker working in an industrial cheesemaking factory.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
interesting ...see... I knew I was going to learn something from you today :)  I guess one can compare the jar method with the food processor (same amount of cream) method and compare yields. I never found the processor method as wasteful as I love buttermilk ! Lol

Thanks for sharing the finish of your cheeses ... The garlic herb version looked interesting