Author Topic: How Would YOU Interpret This Step? Camembert Question!!  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
Re: How Would YOU Interpret This Step? Camembert Question!!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 11:18:37 PM »
But I don't think I'm generous enough to give them away lol! ;) Thanks for all of the advice! I guess the only thing I'm missing is the right size ripening boxes. I'm going to start with just two. I'll definitely post my results!!

... most of my cheeses I use 5-6 gallon batches, including the cams... hence me giving so many away! It's my cow who dictates my batch sizes :) she has a calf on her now so the cheesemaking fireworks start in about 2 weeks, I'm prepping with new molds and new moulds ;)
With regards to ripening box's for cams, I use the 14x14 hinged opaque "craft" boxes sold in Walmart ... the only stamped marking was "made in USA" they are thin enough to stack nicely, so I can make 4-5 cams per box and 2-3 boxes tall ... fits nicely in a wine fridge shelf and ergo saves space.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:28:57 PM by Fritz »

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
    • Rainy Day Cheese Making
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 12:57:26 AM »
Hi Andy :)
You're funny :)
I may just get some cream after all....I love the idea of TRIPLE cream cheese...I've had triple Brie and found is luscious!! :) Though I have also tried some triples from France that you could smell a mile away and they were really strong. I wonder if that has to do with the culture, I'm not very savvy on Camembert right now! I'm assuming what I make will be a milder version.

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 12:59:59 AM »
Hi Fritz :) LUCKY that you have a cow!!! I guess in that instance I'd be giving cheese away too! I have some plastic bins thingies, but they are round and I don't know that they would be airy enough for each wheel. (I think a 1 pound wheel would fit too snuggly)...I do have another plastic box like yours but it's smaller, I have to make sure they'll fit in the cheese cave too. So many variables...but I'm thinking of starting tomorrow, eek! :)

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 01:01:12 AM »
By the way...the Administrator of New England sent me a gift card for $10 for my troubles. I guess that was nice of her. She's better at customer service than the cheese guy!

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 02:07:55 AM »
Sweet! 10$ ... they are generous with 20-30% off during US statutory holidays. So best time to buy from them is on the holiday long weekends. In between them, one can get 10% off by registering an email address while browsing on their website... I keep a few "disposable" email addresses for just such occasions. The shipping to Canada is the killer from them ....

My local source is Glengarry cheese  http://www.glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/
Margaret the owner there is an award winning cheesemaker and has many winning and best-in-show international awards... including her beating out the best French cheeses. So she knows her Kung-fu. You won't have to pay for duty and shipping costs are obviously better. Unfortunately she caters more to large scale cheesemakers, but still takes the time to answer the phone and has plenty of stuff there for you and me :)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 12:28:25 PM »
Looking back ... I realized that my attempt at humor could be taken in a far more risque way than I had intended. I hope I have not offended anyone!
-- Andy

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 01:43:17 PM »
Fritz you've had a good experience with Glengarry? I thought about that company and I saw a little disclaimer on their website that stated they would not be responsible for any damage or lost items during shipping. This kind of turned me off a bit, so I sent an email asking if this happens often enough to warrant that disclaimer. No response so I buy my stuff mostly from MakeCheese.ca, they are in Alberta. They're a smaller company but has new management and she is wonderful at responding to questions. Whatever I can't find at MakeCheese, then I go to New England. Actually I did take advantage of the Labour Day weekend 5% off this month to buy those heat-proof gloves for my next Mozza! I hope I can take advantage of the $10 gift card because it expires beginning of October and right now I don't need anything. I agree, the shipping is outrageous, but the exchange isn't too bad.

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 01:44:24 PM »
Hi Andy, you certainly didn't offend me :)

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 05:04:58 PM »
I've seen your cheese naked before, Andy ... you should be proud. Far from offended :)

I've actually taken the time to actually go to Glengarry... twice :) it's about 5 hours away, but sort of enroute to mother-in-laws place. I had a wrong product shipped to me and they were happy to exchange it via no extra cost courier pickup and delivery. So no issue there.. and like I said, Margaret is one you really want to have your questions ready for and be ready to soak up the detailed answer and her experience. I was offered a short tour of the place and I bought her book ... (very limited find). She is not the usual person who answers the phone but does pick up from time to time. So, no problems from Glengarry. It would be close to you, only an hour or so away I guess.

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »
That's good to know, maybe my email got lost, you never know. We go to Hawkesbury about once a year to the LCBO to get stuff we can't find here, and I thought we could detour to Glengarry on the way back since it's just 45 minutes from there. The whole trip would be about 2 hours each way, which isn't too bad. I'd like to visit her place and see what they have to offer in the shop.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 07:19:59 PM »
Please keep in mind, Glengarry is foremost a retail cheese shop, it sells cheesemaking stuff out of the back room mostly from online and over the phone orders. I'm sure they will let you back there upon asking ...
While there, be sure to score some of their award winning cheese such as Lankaaster and Celtic Blue ... be sure to call way ahead to make sure the Celtic blue is available as it sells out fast! Or ask when the next batch is ready and plan for that date. If you have extra spending money, consider her cheese making book... again call ahead and have Margaret sign it for you in case she isn't there when you are.
Here is a pic of her book.. notice my cheese books are spiral bounded and cover laminated? ... lays flat on the counter and wet proof for the moist cheese making environment. Done at Staples (Office Depot)...very worth it:)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:27:52 PM by Fritz »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 01:48:36 PM »
I've seen your cheese naked before, Andy ... you should be proud. Far from offended :)

Now I'm the one blushing ... :)
-- Andy

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2017, 04:55:42 PM »
Fritz that's brilliant about the spiralling of the books. Great idea. I wanted to visit Glengarry to see her set up, thanks for telling me it's mostly retail, but if we get a chance to drive to Ontario, I will definitely make a stop there.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 04:43:31 AM »
Hi Rain.

For ripening I use the Décor boxes (the red ones with a plastic rack in bottom) - two CAMs per box.  It's important to keep flipping the Cams when the mould starts growing as it can grow around the grills of the rack and you run the risk of ripping off the lovely rind.  I did that once, leave too long before flipping, an the complete bottom came off and it didn't ripen after that.  You do have to pay them a little attention during the maturing stage.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !