Author Topic: Cheddar for the win !!  (Read 908 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Cheddar for the win !!
« on: September 17, 2017, 06:40:08 AM »
It is most used type of cheese and most underwhelming when done commercially.  After you have made it like this there I no going back. 

Here it my make sheet

and a few photos..

1. My milk
2. My Gear

If there are any questions I'm happy to Help... PM me ! ... Have a look at my other make to see the rest of the photos.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
    • Rainy Day Cheese Making
Re: Cheddar for the win !!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 03:33:27 PM »
I agree with what you said Mal...actually the poor quality of Cheddar is why I started my cheese making journey in July. I have five Cheddars aging in my cave at the moment! I like your worksheet! I take lots of notes, but I keep mine in a little notepad aptly titled "Rain's Cheese Making Journal" lol! :)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 09:21:09 PM »
You cant take enough notes - There are a mess of them on the back of the sheet - I keep all my sheets in a folder.  I'm also going back to the Cloth banding maturing method. While vac bagging works it creates Calcium Lactate crystals to form on the outside of the cheese and something - a slight nuttiness is missing. So, I going back to the traditional method of covering my Cheddar.

-- Mal 
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
    • Rainy Day Cheese Making
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 12:54:16 AM »
That's interesting, because I was wondering about doing that as well, but I don't know if I have the space for it, or if my little "college dorm fridge" (aka the cheese cave) could handle that. But maybe I'm worried for nothing. I read that mold can travel to other cheeses and even inside the fridge using that method? Not sure if that's true or not.

I remember reading a post (I think written by you?) about how to wrap with cheesecloth using lard. It really sounds like something I would like to try if I could pull it off. Would you do that only for Cheddars?

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 01:39:26 AM »
The cheese is now Cloth Banded and put to bed and will not see the light of day for another 2 years ! good grief that's a long time when you say it like that. It will be the first of many with the return to cloth Bandaging my Cheddars.  Not that vac bagging doesn't work ... it does but, there are some noticeable differences in taste and texture between the two. 

-- Mal