Author Topic: Problem using liquid rennet  (Read 1364 times)

retiredtrucker

Problem using liquid rennet
« on: September 17, 2017, 01:34:57 PM »
Good morning to all. I am still very new to the forum and cheese making,Ive made 3 cheddars,two Goudas two Parmesans,queso fresco and queso blanco. The problem and forgive me if this has been address here i get impatient looking , When I use liquid rennet my curds set very quickly. I mean by the time I set the timer to check floc. time and put the bowl on the milk it is set. I am using "Qualac made in Mexico. Reading the label it says to use 8 to 10 ml in water for 100 litres. The last Parm that i made was 8 liters fresh cow milk non pasteurized. fresh as started within 2 hrs of milking. I used less than 1/8 tsp rennet in 1/4 cup fresh spring water. I also used 1/4 tsp mixed lipase that sat 20 min  in water before stirring in. The temp was 85* when I stirred in the rennet and with in 30 seconds the bowl would not spin. After cutting and cooking the curd and pressing the cheese seems to be fine but won't know for some time as it's aging rubbed in coconut oil. So what is my problem and how do I correct it ? the liquid rennet is very convenient and would like to keep using it.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
Re: Problem using liquid rennet
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »
Hello retiredtrucker, good to meet you.
Your numbers all look good and I don't have a good answer... your problem is one that many would want to have... usually it's milk NOT setting as the issue ...
You have super milk and super rennet to set so fast. I know raw milk uses less rennet and at first read I though you had "double strength" rennet... I would be interested what your raw milk pH is and the pH before the rennet (after culture time) is added. The only thing I seen that caught my eye is the amount of lipase for 8 LT I thought it was high... I usually only add a dash. What cheeses require that much lipase?

Maybe try some different rennet to compare results.

Sorry, but I'm stumped on this one... hopefully someone else has some insight. Good luck Sir.

retiredtrucker

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 03:32:54 PM »
I'm glad to see that this isn't a huge problem ,was just concerned because it happened so fast. As far as Ph goes I can't say as the meter I ordered hasn't arrived. Such things are not available here(Costa Rica) so when it arrives will post values for the milk and after inoculation. Only used that much lipaze as that 's what the package reccomended,will reduce in the future.
Thank you for the insite.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 10:15:56 PM »
Rennet can be variable in strength even when it comes from the same manufacturer and is labeled the same, so it always is important to adjust for actual results with any given batch of rennet. It sounds to me like you have some that is super concentrated. I would try using half as much the next time, and see how it goes; if still too fast, use half as much the time after that; and so on. Of course, it will get harder and harder to measure the smaller and smaller amounts. One answer is to make a larger batch of cheese - instead of using half as much rennet, use twice as much milk! Of course, that can run into problems with appropriate sized moulds and pressing weights and so on.
-- Andy

retiredtrucker

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply Andy, as far as measuring smaller and small amounts ,that's not that hard just need to use a syringe to measure. The idea of making larger batches causes no end of problems,needing much larger pots ,molds and of course getting more milk. I thinl I'll try going down in volume of the rennet. Thanks

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 01:17:52 PM »
Yes this is a problem..i think i am going to find a source that list activity units so I'm not guessing...
I used for 4 gallons of raw milk (milked two hours)  I have to use 1.5tsp (think that is about 7ml) to flocculate at 9 minutes and set-up at 30 minutes.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 06:17:35 PM »
Hey there again retiredtrucker

I use 3 Muñecas Cuajo (rennet)  that you can find at most any feed store like El Colono, Dos Pinos, or El Campesino.  It is actually by Chr Hansen so it is good quality.
And I can tell you that with super fresh, raw milk, you will need to cut the usual amount of rennet listed in a recipe by at least 50%.  I usually use 40% and many times my floc times are still a little faster than I'd like.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:14:43 PM by GortKlaatu »
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.