Author Topic: Newbie with line on raw milk..needs advice!!  (Read 6064 times)

dougspcs

Re: Newbie with line on raw milk..needs advice!!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 02:19:42 AM »
I'm printing these posts and keeping them in a binder..along with detailed info on the cheeses as I make them.

Thanks for all the valuable help guys..as I mentioned, I'm a pretty analytical person since PC repair is my livelihood.

So this hobby presents challenges of a meticulous nature and I can really wrap my head around that. I look forward to taking all this to practice and find out how it helps me perfect the final product!!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »
Fritz's suggestion is the easiest way to get a higher-humidity micro-environment for your aging cheese without actually controlling the humidity in the cave - in a ripening box, the cheese itself provides all the humidity you need to maintain 85-90°.

Record keeping is definitely recommended - this is how you can adjust over time to perfect *your* recipe. Keep in mind that cheese is "territorial," meaning that the same recipe made the same way in two different locations is likely to turn out somewhat differently - a function both of the local milk (especially if you are using local raw milk) and of the local microflora that may participate in the process (especially for natural rinds). Especially using raw milk, the cheese will also be seasonal - milk at different stages of the milking cycle will have different characteristics. So keep records to see what is changing at different seasons, and tweak the recipes to get the results you want.
-- Andy

dougspcs

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 05:46:19 PM »
Record keeping, you read my mind Andy..I made this today. Did I mention I was a bit ANALytical??

Download and share as you please..

My chance to share back a bit. Thanks again guys..I look forward to hanging with the Curd Nerds!!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:24:24 PM by dougspcs »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 08:21:11 PM »
Looks good! I have been using a fairly simple spreadsheet that allows me to record all the pertinent information - less organized, but more compact.

Over the last couple of years I have been working, in fits and starts, on a Cheese Log program. It is about 3/4 done; hard to know when I'll get the the time to finish it - I generally can't work on a program effectively with just 30 minutes here or there; I really need to have an entire week or more to focus on it, so that I get back up to speed on what I've done and can push forward. But hopefully in the next few months, I'll find the time ...

If you want to see the work-in-progress, I've attached a .zip file with the Windows version. Sorry, no fancy installer - you will have to create a subdirectory, unzip the contents there, and then run the CheeseDB.exe program. The first time you run it, it will warn that no valid database is selected; just click okay. When you get to the main screen, you will probably want to enlarge it (drag a corner to make it whatever size you want). Then click on the New button (or choose File/New from the menu) to create a new database - give it whatever name you want in whatever directory you want; the default extension is .cdb (for cheese database). Then, to have something to look at, choose the Tools/Fill Sample Data menu item to insert some sample data.

Most of the support structure is in place; some of this is evident in the ability to change the data that is shown:
  • Click on a column header to change the sort order
  • Right-click on any column header to change the columns/data that are shown
  • Choose the Set Filters to limit which makes / recipes you see (e.g., only show makes from a certain type of cheese); cancel the filters with the Clear Filters button

There is a lot more "substructure" that is under the hood, some of which you can see if you go to the Tools/Options menu (or click on the Options toolbar button) - you will see the various measurements, cheese types, recipe steps, etc. that have been defined. (The various measurements will allow entering a recipe using either metric or USA units, and automatically converting from one to the other.)

What remains to be done is arguably the most important part - entering / editing a recipe - but this part couldn't be done until all the substructure was completed, so this is the part that I'm working on now - or at least, working on when I get a chance. There is a little bit of code in place that you can see when you attempt to edit or add a recipe, and you can see some other code-in-progress if you click on the Tools/Test menu item. But clearly this most important piece of the puzzle is not yet functional ...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:44:37 PM by awakephd »
-- Andy

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 01:50:26 AM »
Doug, your cheese log looks good thanks for sharing... may I suggest adding pH markers along the cheese make. It gives a more complete story to when things go right (I really wanted to say "when things go bad", but chose to be supportive, encouraging, positive and politically correct... don't get used to it though ;)

Andy... good for you man! Writing code and taking over the world... pentagon watching, changing election results...lol .. seriously looks good, keep at it... if you want, maybe other coding types (leaves me out) on this board can help with it ... open source sort of thing :)

dougspcs

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 01:47:02 PM »
Hey Fritz where do you get supplies??

I'm headed north today for some Kawartha's fishing for the weekend and was thinking about stopping at the Canadian Homebrew Supply in Brampton. I'd like to get some thermophilic culture and a bigger mold.

Ever shopped there?? Are they decent??

Is there anywhere else within reach in SW Ontario or just buy online?

Also, I here you on the PH..I'll look into getting the strips also.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:55:44 PM by dougspcs »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 02:35:56 PM »
Doug, a few people here on the forum have gotten some use out of pH strips, but most seem to feel that they are not sufficiently accurate. A pH meter can be a relatively big investment, depending on the type ... and yes, you do get what you pay for. I use the Extech 100, which is mid-level in terms of price and performance - around $100. It has worked well for me, and made a significant difference in the success particularly of Gouda, Asiago, and other cheeses that are pressed before salting.
-- Andy

reg

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 02:51:05 PM »
Doug have you looked at Glengarry Cheese Making Supplies ? I buy all my supplies there

retiredtrucker

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
Mucho gusto Doug
I like you am a newb in this crazy hobby. I have been buying my cultures from the UK. Seems that no one in the USA or Canada wants to ship down here unless you put up your first born for collateral. So I have found Goat Nutrition Ltd. Bruce Dolby gets my cultures to me in about 7 or 8 days, most stuff out of North America is 2 to 3 weeks unless it comes by DHL or UPS both of which are very dear. Here in Costa Rica aged cheese is very expensive,I'm talking at least 15.00 US dollars a pound so I've been buying my Mesophillic cultures from Bruce and am very happy with the quality as my cheeses are a big hit.
As for a cheese log I use Curd Nerds cheese log ,no place for Ph reading but can write it in on the side.
I sure pity you up there having such a hard time finding fresh raw milk, I get mine from my neighbors and its still warm when I get it home,my biggest problem is cutting the liquid rennet back enough to get a 12 minute mas o menos flocctuation time.
Great talking with you hope we can talk again and good luck.
Hasta Luego

dougspcs

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 02:50:04 PM »
Doug have you looked at Glengarry Cheese Making Supplies ? I buy all my supplies there

I looked at them but they are a long way from me..

I stopped at Canadian Homebrew in Brampton..Randy, the owner had a decent selection of supplies. However when I questioned him about culture differences he said.."I don't make cheese"

I got a mold, a couple different cultures, and some lipase..

He was a nice guy and I'd go back again..but not for Intel!!!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:19:06 PM by dougspcs »

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 02:26:07 AM »
Hey Doug... that hombrew place has a few things but I wouldn't call it "a good source" .. as Reg said, Glengarry ( http://www.glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/ )is a good source, another Canadian source is https://www.makecheese.ca/
 ... in the US is https://cheeseandyogurtmaking.com , http://www.cheesemaking.com/ , http://www.thecheesemaker.com/ , https://www.culturesforhealth.com/ , there are more, but you can google em.

Amazon is another good source of cheese making stuff.

As you see, online shopping is your friend. If I may offer a tip, if you order from some of the US sources they tend to offer up to 30% off on Holiday long weekends ... helps pay for shipping... so best to buy in batches to take advantage of shipping costs.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:35:51 AM by Fritz »

dougspcs

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2017, 02:39:43 AM »
Hey Doug... that hombrew place has a few things but I wouldn't call it "a good source" .. as Reg said, Glengarry ( http://www.glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/ )is a good source, another Canadian source is https://www.makecheese.ca/
 ... in the US is https://cheeseandyogurtmaking.com , http://www.cheesemaking.com/ , http://www.thecheesemaker.com/ , https://www.culturesforhealth.com/ , there are more, but you can google em.

Amazon is another good source of cheese making stuff.

As you see, online shopping is your friend. If I may offer a tip, if you order from some of the US sources they tend to offer up to 30% off on Holliday long weekends ... helps pay for shipping... so best to buy in batches to take advantage of shipping costs.

Thanks Fritz..actually US mail order shopping is another hobby of mine!!! Since I live on the border and use US supply for work related supplies I maintain a UPS address in Port.

No extra shipping hassles or cost for me !! I'll be checking out those US links..

I just thought by stopping at Brampton to buy supplies I'd be able to get some extra opportunity to get advice also..but not too much luck there!!

dougspcs

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 12:10:22 PM »
Another question fellows...

I bought some non-iodized salt made by Morton.

It contains calcium silicate as an anti-caking agent.

Is this ok for cheesemaking??

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »
Unfortunately, I haven't a clue! Hopefully someone else will chime in ...

I generally use "Pickling Salt" or "Kosher Salt" - but now you have me thinking I need to go back and check the labels on those ...
-- Andy

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 01:52:05 AM »
Nothing here to back me up at this time... but I think when they are referring to "cheese salt" it would typically be fine sea salt.... no additives.... I don't think the additives are evil, but the many types of salt would actually produce different amounts by mass... I.e. 1 cup of kosher salt BY MASS or weight ... is  NOT a cup of sea salt BY MASS or weight, it's just the way they pack and layer in said measuring cup. I hope I explained that well enough...

I'm sure it's not a biggie for making cheese ... a little salty or not... but it helps with the consistency of your cheese makes if you use one or the other, and simply document your results.

For meat curing and sausage making, things like salt type need to be well defined and talked about before measuring.

F